UNOCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
Job ID: 7350
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Duration: Initial Contract Duration of 9 months
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
- Under the guidance of the Administrative & Finance Officer in Borno, the Administrative & Finance Analyst is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of, finance, general administration, human resources, procurement, logistical and common services support to OCHA/Nigeria sub offices and operations consistent with UN rules and regulations.
- The Administrative and Finance Analyst leads and provides guidance to OCHA sub Offices administrative staff, fostering effective collaboration within the teams, with relevant OCHA and UNDP counterparts at headquarters and in the field, and with other UN agencies, promoting a client-oriented approach and ensuring optimal performance and efficient delivery of services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Management of OCHA Nigeria administrative operations.
- Management of OCHA Nigeria finance and human resources
- Management and monitoring of OCHA Assets.
- Procurement of goods and services.
Provide management support to OCHA administrative operations with the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UN/OCHA/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, effective implementation of corporate operational strategies, achievement of management targets, monitoring and reporting of results.
- Establishment and maintenance of effective working relationships with operational partners, specifically with OCHA headquarters, UNDP country offices and other major service providers.
- Monitoring and analysis of the operating environment leading to timely readjustment of internal administrative and financial procedures, provisional of advice on legal considerations and risk management.
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to financial management and general administrative operations, contributing to OCHA’s best practices.
- Identification and implementation of appropriate systems and applications for administrative and document management, information provision and learning including registry.
- Requirements, strategy and policies of OCHA relating to common services, administrative support and financial management are represented in meetings with UN agencies as required by the Head of Administration Unit and action taken.
- Letters and other correspondence relating to administrative and finance activities drafted and related reports prepared for internal use
Support the management and monitoring of OCHA assets with the following expected results:
- Management of OCHA assets ensuring full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for procurement, utilization and disposal of OCHA Nigeria‘s assets.
- Assist the Administrative and Finance Officer in setting up assets management procedures in OCHA/Nigeria
- Supervise the management on physical assets disposal. Review of assets and recommendation of physical assets for disposal. Documentation preparation for submission to CAP; follow up on request and liaise with requesting unit and maintenance for disposal action and entry in Atlas of all the requisite details for recording disposals.
- Oversight of disposal of items and accuracy of inventory data.
- Assist in annual physical inventory verification exercise to ensure accuracy of records and location of property.
- Ensure that managers sign off on the physical count and correctness of the inventory system database
Manage and coordinate the procurement of goods and services with the following results:
- Required goods and services secured in a timely manner, within budget and in full compliance with established UNDP rules, regulations and procedures for procurement.
- Procurement actions taken in accordance with the principles of good planning and overall strategic objectives established by OCHA management, using best practices in sourcing, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management and the use of performance measurement benchmarks.
- Sound judgment, knowledge and guidance are applied to tender processes and evaluation of bids, in the negotiation of agreements, and in contract management.
- Assets are managed in accordance with OCHA/UNDP rules and regulations through the implementation and management of an appropriate inventory management system, recording acquisitions and disposals for all Sub Offices
- Recommendations and guidance provided in the estimation of office equipment and supplies requirements for budgetary and procurement planning purposes.
- Supervise the Procurement, Administration and HR associate staff as well as the logistics Assistant and drivers
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the supervisor and/or the Head of Sub Office.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Country Office including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking operations management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNOCHA’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience and provides helpful advice to others in the office
- Ability to develop systems for structuring, codifying and providing access to information and knowledge
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Builds strong relationships with partners, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Ability to manage complex problems proactively and effectively, including responses to emergencies
- Ability to work independently, with efficiency, competency and integrity with people of different national backgrounds.
- Knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian assistance
- Proven report writing skills
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (masters or the equivalent) in Business Administration, Accounting or in a similarly related field
- Professional qualifications in finance/accounting/Administration and knowledge of UN financial rules and regulations are added advantage
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in business/public administration at a senior level, providing management and financial advisory services, managing staff and operational systems and establishing partnerships, ideally including experience with the UN or other international organizations.
- Fluency in English and other national languages.
- Job City Maiduguri