Conservation South Africa, as a local affiliate of Conservation International, is committed to helping societies adopt a more sustainable approach to development—one that considers and values nature at every turn and improves human well-being through the conservation of healthy ecosystems and the goods and services they provide. Conservation South Africa seeks to influence policy, develop markets, engage the private sector, and support communities to develop and implement conservation- based economic growth models and long-term human well-being.
CSA seeks to appoint an Assistant Extension Officer to be based in Northern Cape.
This position will be on a 24-month contract.
Salary: R8 420.00 per month
CSA’s Meat Naturally Initiative (MNI) combines restoration best practice, job creation, market access and land stewardship to enable restoration and sustainable farming at scale within a semi-arid biodiversity hotspot.
This position provides for dedicated capacity to implement conservation agreements with communal farmers focusing on the monitoring of compliance and sanctioning to promote ecologically-based land-use management plan capture lessons on efficacy with regards to both social and environmental benefits of this approach.
- Monitoring compliance to Conservation Agreements by Stewards
- Providing technical extension services
- Build and maintain of relationships and trust with conservation agriculture stewards and other key partners
- Gather compliance records from stewardship organisations monthly
- Capture compliance records electronically
- Review, assess and report on records monthly
- Monthly spot checks per signatory entity
- Based on compliance record results accompany stewardship agreement farmers to provide technical assistance in the areas identified as needing support such as in monitoring and livestock management
- Assist the senior stewardship coordinator with workshops and meetings as required
- Represent CSA at relevant meetings pertaining to stewardship and land management at least quarterly
- Generate and contribute a minimum of two stories on stewardship activities aimed at external and internal media quarterly
- Experience in MS Office programmes
- Experience in submitting professional reports
- Ability to handle pressure and dynamic to change
- Valid driver’s license
- Communication skills, both written and spoken, in both Afrikaans and English
- Understanding of stewardship models
- Have the ability to plan ahead, think strategically and work independently when required
- Knowledge and experience of small and large livestock
- Physical fitness and willingness to manual work outdoors is a requirement
To apply, submit your abbreviated CV (no longer than three pages) with contact details of three referees with a cover letter to [email protected]. using the reference MNI-EXT/NC.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Candidates who have received no response within 14 days of the closing should kindly assume that their application was unsuccessful.
CSA reserves the right not to fill this position.
- Job City Springbok