The Land and GLTN Unit, located within the Urban Legislation, Land and Governance (ULLG) Branch of UN-Habitat, is mandated to develop, test and disseminate pro-poor and gender responsive land tools and approaches within the continuum of land rights framework. Established in 2006, the Global Land Tool Network (GLTN), is a growing coalition of 75 international partners concerned with rural and urban land issues, working together to contribute to poverty reduction and sustainable development through promoting secure land and property rights for all, demonstrated through country-level interventions.
In the past two years, GLTN has been expanding its work in the Arab States. The key aspects of the GLTN work in the Arab region include land governance, capacity development, knowledge management, regional cooperation, support to land projects implementation at country level and land sector coordination. In the context of the above, short, medium and long term activities are to be implemented in the region. In the short term, GLTN intends to: (1) establish a land governance network in the region; (2) Establish an e-platform to share information and knowledge among land governance stakeholders; (3) Organize an Arab Land Governance Conference; (4) Carry out land policy assessments in selected countries (5) Put in place a Framework for monitoring land and conflict. In the medium and long term actions, priority areas of intervention are, among others; capacity development, knowledge creation and sharing, advocacy, monitoring and the establishment of a regional land center. Land and conflict issues in the region are also a GLTN priority to be addressed.
The consultant will report to the Arab States focal point in the GLTN Secretariat, located in the Land and GLTN Unit of UN-Habitat. The consultant will closely collaborate with the UN-Habitat Regional Office for the Arab States, the country offices in the region and relevant partner organisations. The consultant will have the following responsibilities:
- Support the establishment of a land governance network for Arab States. This will include the identification and the establishment of partnerships with relevant regional institutions; ensuring frequent information flow with regional partners; and supporting the implementation of the secretariat functions of the network. Ensure regular information flow with
- Coordinate the establishment and maintenance of the E-Platform to share information & knowledge among regional land governance stakeholders. This will include developing a database of existing resources, institutions, networks, experts and trainers, capacity development courses and initiatives; Preparing appropriate materials to share on the E-Platform; identifying relevant materials, simplification and translation if needed; coordinating with the GLTN communication team for the smooth running of the E-Platform.
- Support the development of a capacity building strategy for the Arab States. This will include undertaking a capacity needs assessment for the region; support the development of the capacity development strategy for the region; support the organisation and implementation of capacity development initiatives; and develop a database of institutions and experts to support the implementation of the strategy. **
- Support research in the Arab States
- Support the organisation of events in the region, including the Arab land governance conference, the writeshop on the implementation of conflict sensitive land tools in the region, the validation of the guidelines on women access to land and others. The events’ support will include preparing the programme, assist with administration task and draft the reports of the events.
- Develop concept notes for resource mobilisation, formalize collaboration, etc.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of principles and approaches relevant to land, partnership and coordination. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis and summarize salient features including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively in both English and Arabic; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced education or degree in one of the following fields is required: urban development, international development, land administration and management, urban planning or related social sciences. Relevant work experience in the above mentioned fields can be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of remunerated experience working in urban development / land sector / international development / urban planning or related areas.
- Previous working experience with national or international development agencies.
- Previous working experience requiring coordination and research.
- Demonstrated skills in both conceptual and practical analysis of complex issues.
- Demonstrated skills in developing and maintaining partnerships.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, excellent proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic is required. Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work to schedule, but where requested to be flexible with changes in timelines. **
Payments will be based on deliverables over the consultancy period. There are set remuneration rates for consultancies. The rate is determined by functions performed and experience of the consultant. The fees will be paid as per agreement. Where applicable, travel costs of the consultant (airplane ticket economy class), transfers, and daily allowance as per the UN rate is payable in addition to the daily fee.
How to apply:
Applications should include:
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
• CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
• The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
• Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
- Educational Background (incl. dates)
- Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
- Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
- Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
- Expectations regarding remuneration
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
Deadline for applications: 31st January 2017
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: [email protected]
- Job City Nairobi