IntraHealth International is a non-profit organization based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, U.S.A. dedicated to working with developing countries to improve their public health capabilities
The Health Informatics Advisor will be responsible for database management and administration, including querying of datasets, validation of data and reporting; lead the project’s strategy for and implementation of the data warehouse, define the business and information requirements, resolve high-level business and information issues, coach the team in the development of software applications, provide continuity in all major health informatics decisions, and determine how technology can be applied to meet the client’s needs.
- Liaise with MOH counterparts to coordinate and mentor a national technical working group to clearly define the national health informatics strategy and health informatics standards; conduct assessments and organize clear inventory of all aspects of health informatics in Kenya
- Based on expert knowledge, make recommendations for improvements to systems based on user feedback and best software practices
- Define the hardware and infrastructure setup both at the MOH level and at client level for effective data access and use
- Come up with strategies to popularize the use and utility of health informatics
- Analyze complex health information system needs in order to envision, architect and lead strategy, development and implementation of technical solutions.
- Research and evaluate state-of-the-art project-specific technical strategies and approaches and recommend updates and changes to existing strategies and approaches as appropriate.
- Manage deployment and operations for all elements of the health informatics in the country clinical settings, including particularly understanding, acceptance, and support, and adaptation with existing systems; liaise at the regional level to support teams to effectively implement systems
- Work in collaboration with the Health System Strengthening Advisor to analyze data and comply with reporting and project requirements; ensure health informatics meet donor and national standards
- Provides technical advice to senior management on how to improve data quality through the use of improved standards; Champion systems, methods and tools to promote data quality and data use to support desired clinical and public health outcomes.
- Advise key stakeholders on IT policies, procedures and standards; interpret and disseminate policies, standards and guidelines when indicated
- Manage the selection and provision of the appropriate technology; collaborate in determining priorities and deliverables, monitoring service levels and evaluating against success measures, and making presentations to management (internal and client organizations).
- Responsible for providing guidance to ensure the security and integrity of data at all levels of the system.
- Act as lead trainer for all aspects of health informatics
- Advise on methods for data management and analysis, including methods for querying relational databases, data warehousing, online analytic processing, cloud database storage and security, and data mining techniques
- Evaluate and assure system compliance with laws and regulations applicable to managing patient information.
- Ensure consideration of the ethical issues that can arise during the delivery of healthcare using eHealth approaches and technologies.
- Ensure identification of performance metrics for health information systems and design strategies for monitoring and reporting performance metrics.
- Proven background in large scale infrastructure design and management; strong computer programming skills in large health informatics environments
- Experience working with Health Programs including HMIS (experience with iSante, OpenMRS, and GHESKIO EMR a plus)
- Strong understanding of public health and EMR systems in Kenya
- A broad and extensive knowledge of IT principles, methods and techniques; analytical skills and superior knowledge of project management principles to manage projects and work with multi-disciplinary teams
- Can work well under moderate pressure and skilled in trouble shooting, crisis management, and problem solving
- Experience working with and analyzing complex data systems and providing innovative solutions
- At least 10 years’ experience in computerized health informatics solutions; some clinical experience preferred but not required
- Extensive training and briefing experience preferred
- At least 5 years of health related experience desired
- Direct experience leading technical teams is highly desired
- Ability to achieve consensus among senior stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal skills are required to communicate technical information to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise as referenced above; fluency in English required
- Kenyan nationals strongly encourage to apply
- Job City Nairobi