Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor for a potential five year USAID-funded Sexual Health and Family Planning program in Uganda. The purpose of the program is to increase availability and access to equitable quality family planning services. It will be USAID/Uganda’s flagship mechanism for providing assistance to Uganda to reach its national family planning goals of reducing unmet need for and increasing use of modern contraception.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Specialist will be responsible for development of monitoring, evaluation, and operational research plans to inform program management and strategic direction. The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Specialist will oversee the monitoring and evaluation system for reporting progress, and maintain reporting procedures and guidelines in compliance with USAID systems. S/he will be expected to develop a strong monitoring and evaluation plan consistent with the USAID results framework, coordinate the collection of data including conducting field visits for data validation, monitor the quality and completeness of data sets, contribute to the development of the program and document project performance against established outputs and indicators. S/he will also be responsible for building the capacity of the Government of Uganda, Ministry of Health (MOH), District Health Management Teams and other stakeholders in the collection, utilization, and dissemination of data as well as ensuring that all monitoring and data collection activities are harmonized and information is shared. S/he will also assist the MOH to monitor programs and assess the robustness of implementing organizations’ data collection and M&E mechanisms.
- Design and implement the Project’s M&E system, including the development of indicators, setting targets, monitoring project progress, ensuring timely data collection, writing quarterly and annual reports, and liaising with the project financial team to track the budget in relation to all project results and outcomes.
2. Provide technical inputs to the technical team in order to assist in developing program goals and objectives as well as M&E tools and strategies and provide monitoring data to strategically inform the decisions on project performance and future direction to the project.
3. Support the MOH to develop a health sector M&E framework and monitor health system strengthening interventions.
4. Provide regularly updated reports on the status of implementation against the project goals and objectives to the Chief of Party, Uganda and other program managers as required.
5. Collaborate with the project team in identifying project activities, processes and/or outcomes that are worthy of documentation, and design a system for capturing lessons learned and best practices.
6. Adhere to MSH procurement integrity and institutional standards and procedures in all project management responsibilities.
7. Lead key evaluation and operations research activities throughout the life of the program, using lessons learned during implementation to further inform planning and implementation of activities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in epidemiology, statistics or health related field.
2. At least 6 years of demonstrated experience designing, and implementing monitoring and evaluation activities and special studies for complex programs in developing countries.
3. Excellent command of monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
4. Knowledge of issues related to integrated health services and support programs.
5. Previous experience implementing and managing a rigorous M&E system including developing performance monitoring plans that track performance as sub-results/results and by funding stream.
6. Knowledge of data collection protocols to ensure accurate data collection and verification is essential, as well as an ability to identify data trends and communicate this information to allow for changes in program implementation.
7. M&E experience in the health sector desired, particularly in health systems strengthening.
8. Demonstrated research experience and skills, complemented by experience in collaborating with various types of partners.
9. Past experience leading and building the capacity of M&E officers, including remote, field-based staff, to meet program needs and deliverables is desired.
10. Extraordinary organizational, verbal and written communication skills to manage project communications and disseminate project information are required.
11. Excellent skills in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, knowledge of GIS and DHIS2 preferred.
12. Experience with Uganda programs/projects strongly preferred.
13. Strong written and oral presentation skills in English required.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Chief of Party
- Job City Kampala