MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 40 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia, and Medford, Massachusetts, US headquarters, our staff from more than 70 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health. We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Team Leader for a potential multiyear performance-based program in Nigeria that rewards federal and state governments based on their performance in increasing utilization of maternal and child health interventions with the goal of saving the lives of women and children in Nigeria. MSH would provide an independent, credible, and coherent analysis of state and federal performance on the coverage indicators and monitor the disbursement of cash awards based on results.
The Team Leader will have primary responsibility for planning, oversight, and coordination of all project activities and personnel supporting the verification and payment authorization for performance-based elements of the program in Nigeria. S/he will work closely with all stakeholders to ensure coordination of verification analysis and reporting with the overall roll-out of the performance-based initiative. S/he will coordinate verification activities with other initiatives and elements to ensure accurate and timely analysis, reporting, and payment authorizations across all relevant states in Nigeria. S/he will supervise the Technical Group Leader, M&E Specialist, and Director of Finance and Operations.
This position is contingent upon project award and funding.
The Team Leader leads and manages the project and is accountable for project deliverables and results, with full accountability and authority for the development, execution, and monitoring of the project, including vision and technical strategy; project management; documentation and communication; client(s) stakeholder(s) relationships; and coordination and synergy with other MSH projects and collaboration with MSH Country Representative and the Country Operations Management Unit (COMU) where applicable. This accountability includes effective contribution to business and resource development activities – including positioning, intelligence gathering, and proposal development – that contribute to fueling MSH’s mission.
- Project Results:
- Oversees implementation of program activities and provides high quality technical and strategic leadership, managerial oversight, and administration of the project.
- Serves as the primary project liaison from MSH to the donor and is accountable for the achievement of results, ensuring quality of services is maintained at the highest standard, and that all project objectives and deliverables are met. Assure that all research or data collection activities under the program are undertaken in collaboration and/or consultation with the appropriate Ministries.
- Support the FMOF to make timely and accurate payments to (states) working under the program based on validated performance in relation to targeted indicators.
- Safeguard MSH’s reputation by ensuring that financial, contractual, technical, and political integrity is maintained and strengthened.
- Technical Strategy and Vision:
- Develop (update and adapt as needed) and execute project results framework, performance monitoring plan, technical strategy, M&E plan and annual work plans as per contract/agreement requirements, MSH technical frameworks and standards, and RMS guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate and timely documentation and dissemination of key results and deliverables for maximum project impact and business development using a variety of communication strategies and media.
- Project and People Management:
- Ensure effective contract/agreement implementation in strict compliance with contract/agreement clauses, MSH and donor policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Coordinate all project activities with national structures, and assure timely validation support to national implementation within national and state structures to implement performance-based approaches to expand access to and use of primary health care services on a national scale.
- Ensure project staffing, structure and reporting relationships are aligned with project needs, local context and available resources. Approve and supervise all short-term personnel.
- Manage and mentor the project team as per MSH policies and guidelines and implement an effective performance-management program including regular check-ins, annual appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support.
- Client and other Stakeholder Relationships:
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers and partners. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Coordination and Synergy:
- Maintain effective communication with all stakeholders to assure that the verification function is providing the accurate and timely analysis and guidance essential to the initiative.
- Collaborate with the MSH Country Representative and participate as required in activities organized in the context of MSH Representation in country.
- Ensure harmonious collaboration with and cost-effective use of the Country Operations Management Unit.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in health management or administration from an accredited university program, or a combination of health professional experience and a Master’s degree in management, business, or public administration.
- Significant experience and progressively increasing responsibility in the areas of health systems and management, with an emphasis on experience in a developing country environment.
- Substantive experience in development of resource allocation-related information systems (such as health management information systems, financial management systems, pharmaceutical logistics systems, human resource management systems) is required.
- Prior experience and success directing similar or larger international donor-funded projects.
- Familiarity with international donor regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects.
- Proven record of aligning diverse, multi-level teams with project mission and vision. Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including a history of diplomatic interaction with government officials at all levels in a developing country setting
- Significant involvement in health reform activities preferred.
- Experience with implementing quality improvement/performance improvement programs in health care provider organizations preferred.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and visioning skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and management abilities.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Fluency in English required.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
- Job City Abuja