The Sustainable Livelihoods Foundation (SLF) is a nonprofit company. SLF prides itself in ground-breaking research, policy engagement and the development of appropriate innovation strategies in order to contribute towards the improvement of livelihoods in poor urban communities. SLF works across many cross-cutting themes including Informality, Health Participation, Citizen Action, Ecology and Society and Enabling Youth.
SLF seeks to appoint a Policy Researcher based in Cape Town.
Start date: Immediately
This is a short-term assignment to support our research and engagement activities within the theme of informality. The researcher will undertake research and allied support services on a range of topics related to the township economy and business environment. A core component of the research will focus on the challenges of land-related constraints to enterprise development and business formalisation.
The ideal candidate should have a strong academic or practitioner interest in township economic development.
The work will be predominately desk-based.
The position is for a fixed term contract over 6 months (August to January) at the cost to company.
Salary: R16 500 per month on a full time equivalent basis (22 days per month)
- Management and administration of project activities on a day-to-day basis
- Conducting desk-top research
- Provide research support such as literature reviews
- Editing and proofreading reports, journal articles etc.
- Qualitative and quantitative analyses of data
- Writing of project reports, articles and other
- Provide support on other SLF projects where required
- A Master’s degree with a first class pass in economics, development studies or urban planning
- Must be South African or have a valid work permit
- Must have a Driver’s License (code 8) with one to two years driving experience
- Demonstrable research ability
- Demonstrable English writing skills across all platforms including academic, social media and other, with particular emphasis on professional blog-writing
- Strong editing/proof reading ability
- Strong project and time management ability
- Extremely capable in computer skills such as the Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of excel and ability to perform basic statistical analyses on data
- Ability to work independently, solve problems and take responsibility for own tasks
To apply, submit your two page CV, maximum 350 word motivational letter and an extract of writing capability from a research output (maximum 500 words)
with subject line ‘SLF Informality Researcher’ to [email protected]
Candidates that don’t meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.
- Job City Cape Town