The Principal Health Finance Technical Advisor will support the implementation of the health financing activities of the RHSSA for a two year term. S/hewill be expected to work closely with the Rwanda Social Security Board (RSSB) and dedicate up to 60 percent of her/his time to provide technical leadership on health insurance and reform efforts towards programmatic and financial sustainability.
The Advisor will work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment on a team that is responding to high priority government requests. MSH is therefore seeking a highly motivated individual with relevant technical expertise, analytical skills and an ability to think strategically about the role of health economics and health financing for health systems strengthening and to build capacity of staff in the MOH and RSSB and other relevant stakeholders.
Technical Support and Capacity Building (80%)
- Health Insurance (60%):
- Advise RSSB management on institutional capacity building leading to improved and effective management of CBHI.
- Support RSSB on generating and interpreting evidence to make key economic, managerial and policy decisions to ensure financial sustainability of health insurance schemes.
- Conduct analytical studies and assessments that will inform affordability and sustainability of CBHI including governance, pooling and strategic purchasing.
- Support the RSSB design and implementation of long term health financing strategic plans ensuring financial sustainability of the health insurance schemes and fostering further improvement of provider quality and efficiency.
- Support institutionalization of CBHI financial modeling, costing and pricing reviews and updates to enable the projection of revenues and expenditures while ensuring equity and quality of care.
- Develop cost control strategies through designing a competitive, cost-effective and equitable benefit package and purchasing services from providers.
- Contribute to adaptive strategies and reforms that improve the enabling environment for private sector actors to support the expansion and effectiveness of CBHI.
- Perform other related assignments related to health insurance as tasked by RSSB management.
- Economic and Health Financing Analysis (10%):
- Advise and strengthen capacity of the MOH Planning, Health Financing and Information Systems team, and broader Ministry of Health, to improve planning and evidence-based budgeting at the central and decentralized levels through institutionalized health resource tracking and economic and health financing analysis.
- Develop processes to improve budget formulation, monitor financial and program performance and generate other routine evidence on efficiency in the health sector.
- Conduct cost, gap, impact, and other quantitative analyses that assess opportunities to improve efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability in health financing.
- Draft policy and technical briefs on relevant technical areas to maintain a high level of policy dialogue and advocacy.
- Strengthen sustainability of PBF system, link PBF and accreditation at health center level, develop synergies with CBHI, update indicator package.
- Income Generating Activities (10%):
- Develop and promote innovative Community Health Worker cooperative practices for income generation.
- Strengthen business plan framework and income generating activities at CHW cooperatives and district hospitals.
- Support health facility income generation strategies to drive self-sufficiency.
- Support MoH/MoF in improving finance management capacity at all levels.
Project Management and Coordination (20%)
- Document, plan, and track project status.
- Mobilize Short Term Technical Assistance in specific technical areas when needs arise, draft SOW recruit and supervise consultants.
- Ensure the completion of the health financing sub-components in an accurate, timely and cost efficient manner.
- Contribute to quarterly and annual RHSSA reports and other routine reporting requirements.
Qualifications and Experience
- A postgraduate degree in health economics, business, public health finance or related field
- Minimum eight years of experience in designing, implementing and evaluating health economics and financing policies, with particular expertise in community health insurance.
- Significant experience in resource-limited settings in Africa, Asia, Latin America or in middle-income country.
- PhD in related field
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience and experience in international public health, health finance and community-based health insurance.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven leadership and collaboration with other technical advisors, experts, and host country staff from the public, private and NGO sectors.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and implement work plans, monitor and evaluate activities, and draft reports.
- Exceptional interpersonal, teamwork and partnering skills
- Fluency in English ,and French language skills desirable
- Navigating the Environment:
- Perspective, Dealing with ambiguity, Organizational Agility, Political Savvy and Strategic Agility
- Ensuring Delivery of Results:
- Functional/Technical skills, Client Focus, Managing through systems, Managing and Measuring work, Negotiating, Information Sharing, Process Management, Priority Setting, Problem Solving and Timely Decision Making
- Leading with Credibility:
- Managing others: Building Effective Teams, Conflict Management, Managing Vision and Purpose, Integrity and Trust, Motivating others, Approachability and Developing direct reports and others
- Core Personal Competencies:
- Ethics and Values, Integrity and Trust, Listening, Written
- Core MSH competencies:
- Adaptability, Communication, Problem Solving, Creativity and Innovation, Quality, Quality and Timeliness of Work, Quality of work and Team Relationships, Resource Utilization
- Travel requirements: Availability to travel within Rwanda (20-30%) and internationally (minor) as needed.
- Basic office operations: keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10lbs., etc.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
RHSSA Project Director
- Job City Kigali