The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 4000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counseling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab, Mandera and Kakuma.
The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the CC project. Use actions words such as conduct or assist for the position relevant responsibilities.
Project Assstant- BPO will report to the Project Officer- Education.
CANDIDATES SHOULD APPLY ON LINE BY GOING THROUGH www.nrc.no. EMAIL AND PAPER APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Assist in setting up a BPO centre in Kakuma.
- Assist in mobilization and awareness creation among the youth on the project activities and register them to use the BPO centre.
- Prepare comprehensive schedules for beneficiary youth that will enable the BPO centre run efficiently and effectively.
- Train youth on all the necessary ICT and business skills to enable them access online business platforms and do online business globally.
- Assess the business opportunities available in Kakuma and within Turkana county and assist youth access it using the BPO platform.
- Ensure that the waste recycling centre is run as business and providing income to refugees and the host community.
- Assist students to use the e-Hub to develop appropriate and useful innovations.
- Keep clear records of the operations of the BPO and the waste processing centres.
- Assist in compiling project progress reports as may be required.
- Promote close working relationship with other stakeholders and the community.
- Ensure that that the organization property at the BPO and waste recycling centres is used appropriately and is well secured.
- Should have at least higher Diploma or University degree training in relevant field from reputable institution.
- Have at least five years post-training work experience in ICT and BPO sectors.
- Experience in community development initiatives
- High level of personal integrity and sensitivity to adult psychology.
- High standard of English methodology including oral skills.
- Knowledge on use participatory and learner centred methods, children rights and the global education standards
- Academy college / University
- Experience from working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own skills/profile
- Good knowledge of English
- Duty station: Kakuma
- Contract period is up to December 2017 with possibility of extension. Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Job City Kakuma