The Provincial Technical Officer, Laboratory Services will be responsible for overseeing all activities implemented under the MSH portfolio of the subcontract to FHI in the delivery of support to HIV/AIDS interventions under the Zambia Prevention Care and Treatment (ZPCT) Partnership Project at provincial level. She or he has primary responsibility for providing support to laboratory services components of the project in the province. S/he will provide strategic and technical direction for laboratory support services at the provincial level in line with project goals and outcomes. S/he will supervise; provide technical assistance to, mentor and coach the Laboratory Technical Officer for that province. S/he will collaborate and work closely with other Provincial Technical Officers for Laboratory Services to ensure standardization of project activities across provinces. S/he will work with other project staff, Government, NGOs and other local institutions to ensure effective laboratory supplies management including implementing laboratory quality assurance systems. S/he will be responsible for project deliverables for lab services at provincial level.
- Collaborate with ZPCT partners at both the Provincial and District level in identifying priority areas for the strengthening of laboratory services.
- Provide strategic direction and develop provincial work plans for laboratory services that are related to project’s goals and deliverables.
- Provides technical support to laboratories to implement and improve quality management systems.
- Provide technical assistance to and work closely with provincial counterparts and other provincial stakeholders to strengthen governance and leadership at provincial level for laboratory services.
- Supervise, mentor and coach Provincial Technical Officer for lab services in implementation of project activities.
- Trains and identifies training needs and prioritises them.
- Facilitate good commodity management practices for CT/PMTCT/ART for Laboratory reagents, test kits and supplies.
- Participates in skills training activities.
- Undertakes monitoring and evaluation exercises in collaboration with the DHO, PHO and ZPCT Provincial office.
- Facilitate the implementation and monitoring of the Laboratory Information System Tool to capture both commodity use and specimen workload data at facility level.
- Collate, analyse and prepare monthly and quarterly project reports for lab services for submission to Senior Technical Advisor Laboratory Services.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Senior Technical Advisor
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Biomedical Sciences with 5 years’ experience or a degree in Biomedical Sciences with 3 years’ experience with a concentration in public health issues.
- Demonstrated technical skills in the application of clinical laboratory principles for ART services in Zambia.
- Technical skills in the application of rational commodity management principles to HIV/AIDS services for laboratory services in Zambia.
- Demonstrated skills in supporting and giving technical advice to a team of geographically and technically diverse staff for expanding and maintaining laboratory services to support ARV delivery services.
- Demonstrated capacity to undertake laboratory service and the associated laboratory referral network assessments, with the ability to analyze, interpret, document and appropriately address findings of said assessments.
- Ability to effectively work with local counterparts, including academic institutions, public sector facilities, hospitals, Missions, health centers and community level workers; non-Governmental Organizations, national and international funders and donors, especially USAID, cooperating partners, and other individuals as needs dictate.
- Ability to work as a team member, both within MSH, the Project as a whole, and as a team member of the national laboratory services partnership.
- Good technical writing skills.
- Flexibility in approaching implementation strategies.
- Good stand up training delivery skills.
- Ability to travel within Zambia as well as, periodically, internationally.
- Competency in English and at least one local Zambian language.
- Familiarity with the operations of international and non-governmental organizations as well as international donor organizations, especially those funded in Zambia is a plus.
- Experience in providing technical assistance in the design, implementation, and/or evaluation of health programs in developed and developing countries, preferred.
- Experience in managing large-scale projects in field or large scale projects from home office.
- Project management skills such as financial management, familiarity with USAID regulations, and contractual and compliance issues.
- Solid oral and written communications skills.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Senior Technical Manager
- Job City Copperbelt Prov