If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
The Social Media Consultant will support UNICEF and Federal and State Ministries of Women Affairs and Social Development to secure maximum coverage of the End Violence Against Children Campaign through social media platforms. Specifically the consultant will ensure the development and implementation of a strategy for social media campaign utilizing various platforms (twitter, whatsapp, U report, Facebook, web pages, blogs) to create mass public awareness in the country and a platform for change, manage and provide regular and engaging content for the end VAC discourse on twitter, Facebook and websites. The consultant will engage with online and social media including bloggers, to ensure mass dissemination of key messages on prevention of VAC, and identify avenues for the dissemination of key messages and IEC materials on VAC.
- Design and execute a social media strategy and package on ending VAC designed and disseminated (including key messages and marketing materials such as branded hashtags, post designs, cover photos etc)
- Establish and coordinate a vibrant group of social media advocates on ending VAC
- Revitalized, populated and updated Facebook page with significant increase in members, likes and shares
- Scheduled twitter updates, meets, chats with a significant increase in followers and retweets
- An innovative and interactive, easy to use website on End Violence against Children in place and maintained
- Social media strategy and package
- Established and active group of social media advocates on ending VAC mobilized and sustained
- Reports of mileage on social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter)
- Active and interactive website with evidence of significant number of views
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related social/behavioural sciences. A first degree holder with relevant combination of professional training, certification and experience may accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree
- Knowledge of current social media trends and how to utilize platforms for advocacy, visibility, communication research, planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Years of relevant experience
- Minimum of 5 years progressively responsible work experience in journalism, communications, media, public relations or international relations
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Highly developed communication skills, including ability to draft / edit texts, articulate ideas in a clear and concise style to a variety of audiences.
- Innovative and creative thinker, able to package concepts on VAC for different audiences
- Ability to identify strategic issues, opportunities and risks, and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction
- Computer skills, including various office applications, website maintenance creation and internet navigation skills (intermediate to advanced MS Office skills)
- Fluency in English language
Desirable specialized knowledge/experience
- Knowledge of issues related to violence against children and child protection would be an asset
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Job City Abuja