The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over seven decades and today is involved in over 42 countries worldwide. We address both the immediate, lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
Women Protection and Empowerment Community Mobilizer
Location: Konduga, Borno – North-Eastern Nigeria
Program: Women Protection and Empowerment
Duration: 6 Months
Reports to: Senior Case Worker
- The IRC WPE program implements prevention and response activities to address Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and the focus of this program is to provide good quality health and psychosocial response services to conflict-affected women and girls in Borno State, North-Eastern Nigeria in a timely manner.
Scope of Work
- The WPE Community Mobilizer Assistant will be focal in the awareness raising component of IRC WPE programming. This component aims to facilitate a change in attitudes and behaviors that condone and perpetuate Gender-Based Violence: this involves encouraging men and women to reflectively examine gender roles and inequalities in order to support a safer environment for women and girls, and to facilitate gender-inclusive development in the community.
- S/he will work with communities to develop and implement plans to improve the safety and security for all individuals in the community. S/he will collaborate and coordinate with other partners to facilitate an effective multi-sectoral approach to addressing GBV.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Community Mobilization and awareness Raising:
- Design and participate in awareness raising activities aimed at promoting changes in attitudes and behaviors regarding gender, gender equality and GBV.
- Identify strategies to promote active community participation in prevention and response interventions designed to address GBV.
- Play a lead role in the formation of community groups for response and prevention activities.
- Work with the WPE Trainer, Comprehensive Women Center, Case Worker to facilitate Training’s and sensitization to community groups, local partners and Community Based Organizations on GBV issues.
- Promote the involvement of men and youth in GBV activities.
- Utilize participatory methodology and adult education techniques to assist communities in developing community-driven prevention and response plans.
- Mobilize community to form ‘action groups’ for awareness raising and encourage greater self-reliance among women in the communities.
- In collaboration with case worker ensure that women are engaged in psychosocial activities at the comprehensive women’s centers.
Planning, Collaboration and Coordination:
- In collaboration with WPE Case Worker and Trainer, Women action groups and Youth Groups, identify training needs of community members and carryout trainings in a consistent and appropriate manner.
- Liaise with community leaders, government agencies, IRC sectors, Partners to organize training and capacity building activities.
- Promote women’s active participation in the leadership and decision-making of the community.
- In collaboration with Comprehensive Women Center (CWC) Officer, Senior Case Worker and community members conduct safety audits in the camps to identify potential security risks areas and develop strategies to address them.
Reporting and Monitoring:
- Compile and summarize weekly statistics to M&E Officer for monitoring purpose.
- Submit weekly narrative reports to WPE Program manager in a timely manner.
- Communicate all obstacles/Problems to senior Case Worker and WPE Program Manager for further action.
- Follow-up on psycho-social support activities and ensure that these activities are conducted appropriately and meet the needs of purpose for which they are intended.
- Follow-up on trainings/sensitizations/meetings conducted to ensure implementation of plans
- In collaboration with other WPE Staff submit monthly activity cash projections for prevention activities in a timely Manner to program manager.
- Ensure that all liquidations are done in a timely manner with relevant supporting documentations.
- Submit all financial request to program Manager in a timely manner for onward submission to either supply chain or finance.
- Possess a higher level education in Community Development or a related field
- Previous experience with community mobilization using participatory methodology.
- Good interpersonal and problem-solving skills and flexibility.
- Must be interested and committed to Human Rights, Gender Equality and Gender issues
- Must be fluent in community language, spoken and written English: Fluency in Kanuri will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required.
- Be able to work effectively in unstable, challenging, and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to keenly observe confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work as part of a TEAM.
- Security level orange. The situation in Maiduguri Borno remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
Applicants should send their cover letter and resume in MS word with the position applied for clearly stated in the email subject line addressed to the “Country Director, International Rescue Committee, Plot 902 Olu Awotesu Str, Abuja” via email to: [email protected]
Note: Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Borno