International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, on behalf of HarvestPlus, seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at its country office in Ibadan:
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Action (MELA) Officer
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
- Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Set the overall program direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve set objectives, in close coordination with the Country Manager.
- Facilitate the development of annual business plans, strategic work-plans for the country program.
- Monitor adherence to contractual agreement, HarvestPlus policies and procedures, and relevant external rules and regulations.
- Ensure program activities align with donor and HarvestPlus standard policies and procedures.
- Support the finance teams to ensure proper financial management, procurement, administration, human resources and logistics for program activities.
- Ensure close coordination and information sharing with contractual and collaborating partners, and other implementers.
- Represent HarvestPlus at government, donor meetings, national and international workshops, and other relevant events.
M&E System design and calibration:
- Design and implement a gender-sensitive and results based MELA system and strategy
- Develop and regularly review country programme’s Theory of Change (ToC) to ensure alignment with programme delivery strategy and changing realities
- Develop country specific MELA system instruments including MELA operational manual, MELA plan, monitoring survey protocol, data quality assessment guidelines, reporting templates, technical data collection tools
- Work with program specialists and unit Heads to align M&E with program objectives, develop monitoring tools and integrate M&E in work plans and across all program components
- Develop guidance materials that clearly indicate staff responsible for specific M&E products, orienting programme staff to their M&E roles and responsibilities as necessary
- Lead the design, development and operationalisation of the country programme databases and mobile data collection applications.
Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning:
- Coordinate the implementation of M&E activities across the program life cycle and ensure minimum standards are adhered to
- Conduct baseline studies to establish baseline values for selected indicators
- Lead in the design and implementation of outcome monitoring sample surveys
- Facilitate the execution of impact assessments and evaluations; oversee the scope of work, deliverables and overall quality of work of other external led operational research and studies
- Coordinate data collection activities across the various functions and implementing partners, analyze and share results within the country program to increase learning and for global reporting
- Organize quarterly M&E technical meetings to ensure regular program planning across consortium partners, review progress, and document lessons/address challenges encountered
- Undertake regular field visits to all project sites to support the implementation of M&E and to identify where adaptations might be needed
- Document processes and achievements to ensure best practices are captured and disseminated, this will include the continual re-evaluation of program activities and information, with resulting activity adjustments in keeping with new insights
- Adapt and implement global M&E data quality guidelines to ensure that data generated in-country meets the required data quality criteria
- Ensure program data and analysis is used for learning by facilitating progress review and lesson learning reflection platforms with program partners
Management Information Systems and Reporting:
- Advance the use of innovative ICT tools to simplify data collection and transmission to HARVEST and global program database
- Create a program beneficiary tracking database, allowing for monitoring of stakeholders
- Prepare consolidated progress and periodic reports to meet management and donor reporting requirements by approved reporting formats and timing
- Document achievements/impact of innovative program components produce written reports on activities, capturing the impacts of activities
- Ensure that team members collectively focus on assisting the program to generate practical information that can be used for ongoing analysis and decision-making while also capturing results at the impact level
Capacity and Team Building:
- Strengthen staff and partners capacity in the use of data collection and office/work tools through comprehensive and continuous training and coaching
- Provide on-going guidance to team members and partners in the implementation and review of their reports and statistics
- Adapt and implement global M&E capacity-building strategy at country staff and implementing partner level
- Promote a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence
- Lead country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes
- Support the recruitment, orientation, professional development and ongoing training of staff to ensure the successful implementation of activities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Country Manager.
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Statistics or Social Sciences with a minimum of eight (8) years’ working experience in monitoring and evaluation.
- Technical expertise in managing and developing M&E systems; theoretical and practical background in M&E
- Knowledge of biofortification value chains, programming and results chains
- Experience in the use of mobile data collection platforms including CSPro and CAPI tools
- Excellent quantitative skills, including advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Excel, and at least one statistical data analysis software
- Ability to effectively convey program goals, enlist partnerships, and work with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- High degree of motivation, initiative, independence, reliability, adaptability, and professional maturity
- Highly developed conceptual, analytical, and innovative problem-solving ability
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to mentor colleagues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working experience with DFID, BMGF, and USAID funded programs.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Ibadan, Oyo