The USAID Africa Trade and Investment (ATI) program is a five-year, flexible buy-in mechanism jointly managed by the USAID Africa Bureau, Middle East Bureau, and Africa Regional Missions. It was designed to mobilize enterprise-driven solutions that increase trade and investment in Africa, including North and Sub-Saharan Africa. It strengthens Africa’s markets by developing new trade and investment relationships, particularly between the United States and African continent. It also works to achieves development outcomes across all sectors.
The Activity Associate will support the Activity Manager with managing several large multi-year buy-in activities with significant labor and/or field presence, with support from technical advisors and the ATI team. Responsibilities include supporting technical and management support to buy-in activities, working with the technical and operational teams to identify and mobilize resources in support of implementation, and supporting USAID clients. The Activity Associate will support generating buy-in activity scopes of work, supporting the design of procurements and grants programs, tracking budgets, coordinating travel and other administrative support tasks as needed across ATI’s portfolio.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the management and track buy-in activity implementation progress by personnel, consultants and subcontractors, ensure it adheres to the approved workplan and deliverable schedule, and troubleshoot deviations with supervision of an Activity Manager;
- Support development and review of technical deliverables and contribute to subsequent learning;
- Support on all matters related to the buy-in, including but not limited to contractual, operational, MEL, reporting, and financial matters;
- Support the development of calls for applications/proposals and all related solicitation documentation; work with the Technical team to integrate technical guidance and requirements.
- Under supervision of the Activity Manager and relevant grants and procurement personnel, provide procedures and policy guidance and interpretation for program staff as well as grantees and subcontractors to ensure adherence to the Activity policies.
- Assist the grants and procurement teams in chairing technical evaluation committees and recording committee member evaluations and feedback.
- Assist the review and analysis of proposal budgets to ensure the costs are allowable, allocable, reasonable and consistent.
- Assist the grants and procurement teams in carrying out pre-award responsibility determination of prospective grantees.
- Provide background information to the grants and procurement teams in preparation of negotiation memos for submission to USAID; supporting the development of first drafts.
- Assist to review grant/subcontract invoices and grant financial reports for accuracy and eligibility.
- Prepare grant/subcontract modifications.
- Provide assistance to grantees and subcontractors in areas of submitting proposals, achieving and maintaining compliance with USAID regulations, reporting, and other areas in which partners may require support.
- Ensure assigned buy-in activities are managed in accordance with USAID regulations and DAI Procurement policies;
- Liaise with implementing parties to ensure proper MEL data capture and data quality to contribute to overall ATI project MEL reporting; and
- In tandem with relevant technical staff, generate buy-in scopes of work and budgets as needed
- As needed, support the project’s procurement and operational staff in administrative and operational needs
- Coordinate and schedule travel for project staff and consultants
- Travel to regional offices as required
- Carry out any other tasks as requested by the Activity Manager.
- B.A. Degree and 7+ years experience
- Familiarity with USAID rules and regulations regarding project management, including project inventory, disposition, and operational procurement
- Ability to identify time sensitive demands & inquiries and respond effectively
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g. procurement, local subcontract agreements, etc.)
- Demonstrated report writing skills in English is required.
- An articulate individual who possesses excellent communications and personnel management skills and who can relate to people at all levels of an organization
- An extremely well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Fluency in French required
The Activity Associate will report to the Activity Manager.
Select the position in which you are interested in applying for, fill out the required information, and upload CV. Please indicate what location you are applying for. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted soon. Please note, due to the volume of applications that we receive and the urgency to fill-up positions, only shortlisted applicants will receive notification on next steps.
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.