Pastoralist Welfare Organization is an Ethiopian resident NGO working for the overall betterment of life of pastoral, agro pastoral communities. PWO has been mainly implementing its diversified livelihood promotion, sustainable development interventions and emergency supports in Somali region.
The Joint Resilience Building Project is a 3 year project which will be implemented as a consortium with by PWO and another partner NRC. The project mainly works through climate smart agriculture on established climate adaptive villages in Dolloado and Dollobay woredas of Afder and liben zones of Ethiopian Somali region.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The role of Agronomist is to contribute in the planning and implementation of all measures related to irrigated agriculture development in the joint resilience building project. The post holder will support local small holder farmers on the ground through technical assistance..
KEY TASKS AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise on the cultivation of food crops, vegetables, fruit trees and fodder crops;
- Provide technical support to the post-harvest handling and marketing of local agricultural products;
- Together with project staffs prepare work plans and budget in line with project proposal.
- Ensure that the project is implemented according to the plan.
- Actively participate in regular planning, monitoring and evaluation of project progress.
- Coordinate and run training on improved agronomic practices
- Give training on climate smart agriculture for project beneficiaries including sensitizing of climate change and its adaptation.
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- BSC in Agronomy, Irrigation Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Crop sciences, Arid land agriculture, Extension and other related disciplines
- Knowledge of CAV establishment and climate smart agriculture
- At least 4 years of practical work experience in the field of irrigation agriculture
- Previous experience in general agronomy and climate smart agriculture and CAV
- Good Experience in rural development particularly in diversified livelihood and participatory research approaches.
Skills & abilities
- Good English language skills (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of local language (Somali is Mandatory )
- Willingness to reside in rural/marginal areas, ability to work with minimum supervision
- Computer skills (power point, Microsoft word, excel, etc)
- Proven skills in analytical/technical reporting writing, results based reporting, development of human interest stories, case studies, etc
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their non returnable CV, application letter and supportive credential within 7 days from the date of the vacancy announcement. Application should be sent to the following address: [email protected] /[email protected] Telephone 0116626407/0116616536 Addis Ababa HO
- Job City Dollo Ado woreda, Dollobay woredas, Somali