*Please submit your CV in English.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
World Vision Sudan is seeking an Area Portfolio Manager (APM) to lead our growing portfolio of projects in Sudan. The APM will be managing projects and overseeing Programmes Managers and lead on expanding the portfolio and coordinating area level aspects. They will supervise project staff and partner agencies to ensure strong project implementation. The value of Area Portfolio will be from 9-15 mln USD and potentially above.
The role will provide leadership and support in the integration and effective delivery of programme quality, ensuring alignment to World Vision Partnership Ministry policies, strategies and standards, regional and World Vision Sudan country program office priorities in order to achieve sustainable ministry outcomes and fulfil World Vision’s mission in the SD/ED/BN/SK (Specific state to be specified) programme. The AP Manager will provide leadership in programme development, planning, implementation and monitoring. They will provide day-to-day management to achieve high quality results in line with acceptable project norms relevant to the established goals, objectives, KPIs and operating policies. They will supervise the financial management of the portfolio in relation to projects’ goals and objectives, monthly activity schedule, timing of expenditures, budgets, etc.
The Area Portfolio Manager will be the focal point for overall state level external representation of World Vision in the relevant sector groups for Sudan, sitting on the relevant Working Groups and coordination bodies, as well as liaising with donors and partners on field level as appropriate.
The Area Portfolio Manager will work with World Vision’s field based and Khartoum based MEAL Coordinators, Procurement, Finance, P&C and Admin staff in Sudan office to develop and implement partner and direct implementation monitoring standards, systems and processes to ensure the highest standards of risk management.
The Area PM will be responsible for the overall area portfolio strategic alignment of projects running in the area of implementation and will ensure that strategic objectives on area level are adhered to.
The APM will be also actively engaged in fund raising opportunities and work closely with GAM.
Strategic Leadership; Programme Development and Design; Operational, Programme and Budget Management; Reporting
- Provide overall strategic leadership, guidance and support to the WV Sudan teams based in areas of operation.
- Contribute to the development, review and monitoring of the national strategy, organizational direction and programming guidance ensuring programs are guided by sound development and humanitarian principles.
- Provide leadership and support to operation teams, Program Managers/ Coordinators, Project Officers, sector officers, support service heads in planning for and developing new operational areas within Darfur including area selection and needs assessment, development of project designs, writing and submission of concept papers and project proposals.
Programme Planning and Delivery:
- Assure that assigned programme has strategic and sectorial alignment for the projects under the portfolio.
- Assure that assigned the overall programs are properly planned and implemented to meet agreed upon results, timelines and budgets.
- Assure that assigned projects under the overall portfolio are adequately resourced and staffed to ensure effective implementation.
- Ensure that programme teams submit timely monthly/quarterly, bi-annual and annual reporting on progress of programme implementation.
- Analyze effectiveness and efficiency of portfolio implementation and introduce corrective measures where needed.
- Provide regular updated information on the programme activities to Operations Director.
- Lead the Programme managers to monitor and evaluate budgeted and actual expenditures with the Operations Director with the support of and in coordination with Finance department on a monthly basis and ensure that PMs work out projections and adjust the plans where applicable to meet agreed budget management indicators.
- Assure, across the portfolio, strict budget management indicators and adherence to agreed activity timeliness, and outputs to ensure proper accountability to donors and effective and efficient programme implementation.
- Ensure that all project activities under the portfolio are implemented on time as per planned indicators.
- Ensure that procurement across the portfolio is planned and implemented on time.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of program interventions on the targeted population under the assigned area.
Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs & Disaster Management:
- Coordinate the establishment and proper functioning of emergency disaster management committees (NEDMC) for World Vision Sudan South, East Darfur, and other Darfur states.
- In conjunction with the Operations Director and programme managers/ teams, enhance the delivery of humanitarian-development-peace-building nexus within World Vision Sudan Darfur Programs.
- Constantly review the field level structures and ensure structural agility to respond to the field needs.
- Determine staffing requirements and facilitate hiring and orientation.
- Facilitate staff training and development.
- Set objectives for staff, monitor their performance and provide feedback.
- In collaboration with the Operations Director and Partnership Coordinator identify areas for staff/partner development.
- Deliver and/or arrange technical and operational capacity building of staff and partners.
- Ensure staff wellbeing;
- Build and maintain string relationships with partners to facilitate effective partnership on projects under portfolio.
- Work with the partnership coordinator in the Sudan Country Office to ensure the agency maintains an understanding of partnership challenges and opportunities across Sudan.
- Identify challenges emerging in coordination with other functions (Finance, Procurement, Admin and Security) and partners and introduce corrective measures where appropriate (focus on individual problem solving).
- Coordinate interventions with other agencies, working groups and clusters.
- Engage with regional technical advisers to ensure the program is delivered to a high technical standard.
- Conduct regular meetings with field-based and Khartoum based staff who fall under portfolio.
- Represent World Vision in external coordination meetings (Clusters, WGs) and play a constructive role contributing to the development of best practice approaches and sharing lessons in the WGs.
- Work with the MEAL Coordinator to review, design and refine direct and remote monitoring protocols and ensure they are being applied to the projects under the programme.
- Coordinate with Staff Safety and Security Manager the necessary field related documentation.
- Lead review and update of risk and contingency plans to account for changes in the operating context.
- Ensure strong accountability practices are in place in coordination with MEAL unit.
- Ensure strong systems are in place to detect and deter fraud, waste and diversion and to rapidly report incidents to senior management.
- Ensure that systems are in place for all portfolio projects to ensure end-to-end verification of the delivery of supplies and to monitor partner procurement.
- Train and mentor portfolio staff and partner staff on risk management and risk mitigation.
- Ensure compliance with programming, finance, administrative and P&C regulations of WV Sudan, local law and the donors.
- Ensure the transparent use of, and accountability for all resources including financial and material.
Safety and Security Responsibilities:
- Responsible of own security and actively contribute to a positive security culture.
- Abide by the security policies and procedures and report any incidents or breaches to line manager and / or security manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ operational humanitarian experience with minimum of 4 years in a leadership role in an emergency/fragile context.
- Proven strong budget management knowledge.
- Proven strong programme planning and implementation knowledge and skills.
- Experience in direct and remote partner management.
- Proven experience in training, including development of training materials.
- Masters or Post Graduate University degree in Education, Social Sciences, International Development or other related majors.
- Comprehensive knowledge of International Human Rights Law, International Humanitarian Law, Refugee Law, the relevant positions of the UN, ICRC and major NGOs on protection of civilians in particular of IDPs and refugees, women and children, the codes of conduct, the Humanitarian Charter, The Sphere Project, INEE minimum standards etc.
- Strong English communication skills (oral and written).
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong communication skills with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior members of the humanitarian community as well as with field practitioners.
- Excellent networking skills.
- High degree of negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Ability to work with a reasonably level of comfort in high tension and high security risk situations.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environs and physical hardships.
- Ability to facilitate the creation of cross-functional project teams and the development of national strategies.
- Understands work from a process point of view and uses measurement and accountability systems effectively.
- Demonstrates openness and transparency.
- Knowledge of Syria specific context and cross-border assistance.
- Knowledge of Arabic.
- Knowledge of MS teams.
- 70% field work
- 30% office based
Position requires willingness and ability to continue to function during a crisis situation, including during a World Vision response to a manmade or natural disaster.
- Job City Khartoum