The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response.
Terms of Reference
In partnership with UK Department for International Development (DFID), Women’s Integrated Sexual Health (WISH) is a flagship FP program to deliver 20% of the UK’s FP global commitments. With a value of over £200 million over three years the program’s service delivery budget is set to deliver an additional 2.8m – 4.1m family planning users by end 2020.
IRC is currently seeking a consultancy firm or individual to manage and undertake Barrier Analysis studies in two zones (Arsi and East Shoa) of Oromia regional state to identify determinants that influence health seeking behaviour towards sexual and reproductive health and rights services particularly use of modern contraceptive and safe abortion care.
The Consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Review all the relevant documents
- Develop barrier analysis study design which includes study methodology and the data collection tools (questionnaires; focus group guides, interview protocol, data entry templates, etc.), as appropriate, including a field manual for training enumerators, in consultation with the assessment team and reflect IRC’s feedback on the methodology
- Design data entry template, procedures and systems, and training of entry clerks in the use of the template
- Develop the field work schedule in consultation with assessment team
- Conduct training for the data collectors
- Supervise the data collection process, give advice and ensure the quality of the data
- Conduct the key informant interviews
- Data analysis and report writing, draft the first report and include IRC’s feedback and finalize the report for final submission
- Provide required data and dataset that is completed and labelled in English (variables and values) for both the SPSS and Microsoft file formats.
- Provide daily field briefing to the IRC FO Manager, Assistant Coordinator and MEAL Manager on the progress and any challenges from the field.
- Respect IRC’s code of conduct and adhere to it.
The overall of the study is expected to take 30 working days including preparation, data collection, and analysis and reporting. The Consultant should be able to undertake some of the tasks concurrently to fit within the planned time-frame, without compromising the quality expected. The assignment is expected to commence on November 25th, 2019, with the final assessment report expected by mid of December 2019.
Reporting: The consultant will report to IRC Health Unit in Addis Ababa and Adama field office during data collection process.
- Post Graduate Degree in Social or Behavioral Sciences, Health Education/Promotion, or Public Health.
- Minimum of 8+ years of relevant work and research experience in Social Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) and/or Public Health; experience in Public Health SBCC is a plus.
- Proven experience with the Barrier Analysis methodology, collecting and centralizing qualitative and quantitative data from the target populations.
- Demonstrated experience in leading at least three similar assignments
- Knowledge of the local contexts for sexual and reproductive health and rights in Ethiopia
- Adapting to and troubleshooting in environments with limited information and guidance
- Working both in a team and independently
- Demonstrated experience leading teams.
- Demonstrated experience in training local staff in quantitative and qualitative data collection tools including using mobile phone technology
- Demonstrated experience in designing survey methodology, data collection tools, processing and analysis of data
- Ability to interact with local government, partners and/or others as requested by IRC;
- Strong organizational, analytical and reporting skills, presentation skills, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and proficiency in Microsoft Office and qualitative data analysis software/tools
- Oral and written English; fluency in languages spoken in the locality (Afan Oromo) is a plus
- Working with international and local NGOs; experience with organizations in the SRHR industry a plus.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified and interested firm or individual are asked to submit the following:
- Letter of interest in submission of the proposal
- A detailed technical proposal clearly demonstrating a thorough understanding of this ToR.
- A financial proposal with a detailed breakdown of costs for the study quoted in ETB.
Interested consultancy firm or individual should submit their technical and financial proposals through:
Ø Postal Address: IRC Adama Office P.O.BOX: 1731
- Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
- The Proposal that complies with all of the requirements, meets all the evaluation criteria and offers the best value for money shall be selected and awarded the contract.
- Any offer that does not meet the requirements shall be rejected.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- Job City Oromia