VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT For Base Human Resource Administrator
Country Office: Ethiopia
Work Base: Sekota
Availability: As Soon As Possible
Salary Scale: EMS07
Salary and other benefits: Gross salary ETB 27,000 up to 30,912
Insurance – (Life, Group Personal Accident, and Medical Insurances are covered upon the organization policies).
Seniority Allowance – paid to depend on the years of service.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger was founded in 1979 as an international non-governmental organization that fights against hunger in the world. Our mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through preventing, detecting, and treating undernutrition, especially during and after emergencies related to conflicts and natural disasters.
The international network of Action Against Hunger has offices in France, the United Kingdom, Spain, Canada, the USA, India, and Belgium. Teams in the field combat hunger on four fronts: Nutrition and Health, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS).
About Action Against Hunger – USA
As the world’s hunger specialist, our primary goal is to create a better way to deal with hunger. For more than 40 years, we led the global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. With 7,500+ staff, our teams have been
on the front lines, treating and preventing malnutrition across more than 45 countries, assisting more than 21 million people.
We save the lives of children and their families. We are there for them before and after disaster strikes. We enable people to provide for themselves, see their children grow up strong, and for whole communities to prosper. We constantly search for more effective solutions, while sharing our knowledge and expertise with the world. We push for long-term change.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1985 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategic approach where Nutrition and Health, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) are integrated in order to maximize impact on people’s resilience.
Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions with an anticipated 2020 yearly portfolio of $20M of emergency and resilience-building programs, research, and innovation. We have a country team of about 550 staff working out of 18 field offices and sub-offices across Ethiopia.
Our main donors in Ethiopia are ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, OFDA, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, UNICEF, and others.
General Assignments / Scope of the Role:
The Base HR Administrator Helps manage the base’s human resources and manage the administrative aspect.
The Base HR Administrator’s role purpose, engagement, and delivery are:
Purpose (The substantive focus of the job encompassing scope, depth, and difficulty of work both conceptual and applied)
§ Manage integrated Human Resource Processes and Procedures in line with Action Against Hunger policies and Procedures.
Engagement: (The focus of interaction both internally and externally needed to deliver a service seek collaboration and build effective partnerships)
§ Identify and Maintain collaboration between staff and management across various Human Resource functions.
§ Externally maintain a relationship with various stakeholders for improved Human Resource service (Pension Agency, Inland Revenue- Tin Numbers, and the like
Delivery: (The focus on the execution of the work and the role of the team for supporting business/operational functions in terms of timeliness and quality)
§ To deliver timely Human Resource services to staff, management, and stakeholders
§ Provide quality Human Resource services that meet the needs of staff according to the policies and procedures of Action Against Hunger.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1: Follow up administratively the base’s human resources:
- Keep the database on staff updated including leaves loans and HR statistics;
- Draft employment contracts and send to senior human resource administrator for validation and final approval;
- Prepare monthly Payroll/Adjust perdiem formula;
- Prepare/Transmit the filled database monthly to the senior HR Administrator at the capital level;
- Insure to induct new employees of administrative issues and human resources; Participate in training new Action Against Hunger staffs about Action Against Hunger Procedures and history;
- Prepare employee Identity Cards and keep a record in the staff list;
- Follow-up of the staff’s leaves: annual leaves, sick leaves… And ensure to keep a track record of written record and send a monthly, yearly, quarterly report to HR Capital;
- Monitor salary advances, loans/bonus payments and keep track records on both the database and personnel file;
- Set up a follow-up process for equipment on loan; monitor salary advances, loans, and Bonus payments, etc.;
- Keep a staff list and list of end-of-contract dates for the base’s employees and submit to the Field Coordinator and HR Senior Human Resource Administrator;
- Sort all documents in the local employees’ individual files and check that all files are complete and updated;
2: Manage local employees’ social insurance:
- Register new employees and their legal successors, keep a record in their respective personnel file;
- Review medical receipts/prescriptions submitted by the employee and validate for finance for payment;
- Prepare reports on accidents at work and take the necessary measures in case of death or to end a contract; ensure contacts with local partners (insurance, social security, pension fund);
- Ensure contacts with local partners (clinics, hospitals, etc.) when seeing fit for the Bases;
- Participate in assessing Action Against Hunger social benefits and policy in guidance of the Country HR Manager;
3: Assist the hiring process administratively:
- Keep a record of the job opening requests with updated Job descriptions;
- Draft job vacancy announcement in consultation with the Field Coordinator and send for HR Capital for validation;
- Ensure to post vacancies at field sites and at the base office;
- Organize the recruitment process in co-operation with the job-seeker: schedule appointments, tests, replies;
- Receive and keep a track record of all applications received and ensure to communicate to candidates of the written and interview results;
- Participate in giving salary offer after validating salary levels;
4: Facilitate the transfer of information and documents; Assignment:
- Receive/transfer telephone calls to the persons concerned, note them down in the register and take messages if necessary Arrange appointments;
- Translate administrative documents upon request,
- Look after incoming faxes and ordinary mail and transmit them to the persons concerned after having registered them; type, register and send faxes, emails, and letters;
- Photocopy and scan documents; Sort and file documents; Register, copy, dispatch, and archive incoming documents (letters faxes…).
- Perform any duties assigned by your immediate supervisor.
- I. Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
Value and respect all cultures.
II. Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own
work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
III. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Iv. Additional Tasks
Ensure gender mainstreaming in the HR department
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and is responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task.
Qualification/Level of studies: Degree in Human resources, Administration, or related field from a recognized university/college with 5 years’ experience respectively. Experience in NGO setting is advantageous.
Required Skills & Competencies
· Good communication skills
· Planning and Organizational skills
· Good level of spoken and written English
· Knowledge of HR procedures
· Excellent knowledge and use of Excel is a MUST
· Excellent interpersonal skills (stress management and motivation)
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Autonomous and able to take initiative.
· Able to set their own deadlines and meet them.
· Knowledge of the Ethiopian Laws
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your application composed of: none returnable CV, Covering Letter with “Base Human Resource Administrator – Waghimra” written in the subject line, and three references, applicants to the following addresses:
- Action Against Hunger – Addis Ababa – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 2357, (On the way to Meskel Flower from Dembel city mall, Behind Addis Ababa Road Transportation Authority Garage ): or
- Directly In-Person to Action Against Hunger, Gode, Sekota, Wollega, Borena, Gambella, and Hirna offices ;
- NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be communicated on and the selection process includes technical tests and an interview.
- Job City Sekota, Amhara