The Business Development Specialist will support the Head of BD and other country programme staff to grow Save the Children funding and partnerships at country level in order to resource the Country Strategic Plan.
To achieve the country’s programme ambitions in line with SC’s Global Breakthroughs, the Business Development Specialist will be responsible for managing the proposal development process and ensuring the final product is responsive, competitive, and timely. S/he will be responsible for working with the PDQ, TE, and Supply Chain/Operations team to coordinate the proposal design process and collaborating with the Finance team to integrate the proposal budget into the final submission to the donor. The Business Development Specialist will be responsible for inputting into the capture planning and continuous learning processes where applicable.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Qualifications and experience
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and facilitating the development of major proposals to institutional donors, multilateral agencies, corporate donors, and/or foundations;
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex issues through critical thinking, analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in;
- A high degree of attention to detail and the ability to lead key tasks (eg. proposal development) to on-time completion under significant pressure;
- Highly developed networking skills and ability to form productive working relationships with a wide range of internal colleagues and stakeholders (eg. programme, technical, awards, compliance, finance, program operations);
- Good personal organisational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills including communicating with impact, influencing, negotiation, and coaching;
- A high degree of flexibility and adaptability in order to respond to changing needs;
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major emergencies including travelling at short notice and for extended periods of time;
- Experience in project and change management related to organisational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results;
- Fluency in English and French.
- INGO, NGO, or nonprofit experience and an excellent grasp of operational issues;
- Experience in developing project or proposal budgets;
- Familiarity with local context and funding landscape;
- Proven ability to write persuasive, competitive, and compliant narrative proposals for institutional donors;
- A detailed understanding on funding mechanisms for development work such as Save the Children’s.
Contract length: 12 months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Job City Congo