Call for Application – Internship (CFA-Int-004/19)
Position Title: Intern – Finance & Administration (Regional Projects)
Position grade: Non-Remunerated but monthly subsistence allowance will be paid
for transportation and living expenses
Duty Station: IOM Regional Office based in Pretoria, South Africa
Appointment Type: Internship, six months with possible extension
Deadline for application: 17 January 2020
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Internship Programme targets young, talented students and graduates willing to gain practical experience in a field relevant to the Organization through their involvement in daily working activities in migration-related areas, support/administrative functions and/or different thematic areas.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer (SRRMO) and direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer for Regional Programmes (RMO-RP), the incumbent will be responsible to support the Regional Office and Country Offices with Regional Programmes on Financial, Accounting, Internal Controls and Audit matters.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in checking and computing the Travel Expense Claim and Daily Subsistence Allowance of regional programme staff.
- In coordination with RMO-RP and Senior Finance Assistant-RP assist in verifications of financial transactions and reports from Implementing Partners and support in the management of accounting reports;
- Assist in preparation of Payment request form related to the regional programmes expenditures.
- Assist in routing/completing the signatures for Purchase Requisition form, Bids Analysis, Payment Request form and coordinating to the finance Country offices including the country offices assigned.
- Assist in monitoring and following up payments for regional programmes
- Assist in disbursing money to the participants for regional events/programmes
- Assist in verifying invoices and ascertain that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received or provided before proceeding with payment request;
- Assist in preparation of financial monitoring reports for regional programmes.
- Assist on functions related to Human Resources Management including but not limited to staff & non-staff recruitment and selection, time and attendance management, insurance management, staff benefits, staff evaluation, facilitating workshops or trainings and separation of staff in accordance with IOM rules and regulations
- Provide general support to the team in the absence of other colleagues in the Unit;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required qualifications and Experience
· University degree in Finance, Accounting or related field of study with three years of relevant professional experience.
· Certificate on internal audit is desirable
· Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
· Experience working in financial management with responsibilities for accounting, reporting, budget, audit, treasury and financial analysis;
· Experience with internal control assessment, internal and/or external/project audits;
· Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is an advantage;
· Experience in computerized accounting systems (including SAP);
· High level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Excel and Outlook)
· Candidate should be highly motivated, with dynamic personality and the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
Fluency in English is required for this position. Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
· Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
· Delivering results: Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
· Accountability: Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement. Communication: Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. South African nationals as well as foreign nationals with valid residence and work/study permit to work as intern in South Africa are eligible to apply.
How to apply:
Method of application:
If you are interested in this internship opportunity and meet the minimum requirements, please send your letter of motivation, up-to-date Resume/CV, copy of ID, education certificates and other credential documents to [email protected]
When you send your application through email, please ensure to specify the reference number (CFA-Int-004/19) on the subject line of your email. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Please send your applications by 17 January 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Pretoria