Summary of Key Functions:
The Capacity Building Specialist will:
- Ensure coordination, coherence and quality of the capacity development approach programme-wide:
- Ensure the coordination between the different units of the project and advise the Project Manager of changes or deviations from plans, including through the identification and management of risks and issues, ensuring maximum benefit to clients and stakeholders.
- Ensure that UNMAS Mali is fully informed of the capacity development initiatives
- Support the Project Manager in identifying and reviewing product project quality and ensuring products are accepted, including with the technical guidance and oversight of Operations and Support Services, the tasking, monitoring quality control and evaluation of the performance of service providers, grantees and implementing partners;
- Support the Project Manager in developing project concepts, proposals, funding requests and submission to joint appeals processes for priority needs by existing funding sources in line with government plans;
- Guide and assist project teams to implement a transition plan to progressively and systematically transfer the management of mine action to national ownership. This may include organizing review workshops and coordination meetings.
- Ensure that information gathered from monitoring and evaluations is used to inform stakeholders of progress and to improve the programme.
- Lead institutional capacity development assistance and support for the Malian authorities
- Support the Project Manager interaction with the national authorities at both institutional and technical levels in order to develop and support a sustainable and context relevant technical capacity to meet its needs to respond to all explosive hazards.
- Support the National Authorities in developing multi-year mine action plans, a National Mine Action Strategy, to sign international conventions relevant to Mine Action and to advocate for mine action within Government and international stakeholders.
- Assist in coordinating the technical support for the government of Mali in the development of national EOD, IED threat mitigation and WAM activities which meet the needs of the Government and are context-relevant, while remaining in line with international standards; and in providing guidance to the stakeholders on key sector regulatory issues including Boards of Investigation, ensuring periodic reviews of National Standard, critical non-conformities, Land Release policy, Information Management etc.
- Backstop the Project Manager:
- Advise the Project Manager on issues that may impact the achievements of project outcomes;
- Ensure that the project is accurately and appropriately represented to external audience, under her/his strategic guidance. This includes via various consolidated and participatory processes as well as UN agencies funds and programmes, government counterparts, donors, and other key stakeholders;
- Ensure accurate, complete, representative and timely substantive reporting on the project, its activities and key milestones to all stakeholders in collaboration with the programme unit.
- Support the Project Manager in the management of all human, equipment, contractual and financial resources allocated to the project as needed;
- Support the Project Manager in developing, justifying and implementing project plans within tolerances established at programme level and in line with programme strategy;
- Any other duties as requested and tasked by the Project Manager.
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!
- Master’s Degree or equivalent with 5 years of relevant experience required; OR**
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent 7 years of relevant experience; OR
- Military Experience (or relevant Police Experience) at the Senior NCO (Non Commissioned Officer) or Officer level (or equivalent) with a minimum of 11 years of relevant experience
b. Work Experience
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in Project/Programme management or Capacity Development roles in either emergency or post conflict environments.**
- Minimum 1 year of experience in organizing and delivering training programmes/ workshops is required.
- Fluent in French (read, write and speak) is required**
- Fluent in English (read, write and speak) is required
- Job City Bamako