Search is seeking a seasoned Chief of Party to manage a four year national project funded by Freedom House, through the USAID-funded Human Rights Support Mechanism. The “Niger Access to Justice and Human Rights Activity” aims at reducing vulnerability to violent extremism by strengthening tools to address core grievances that drive extremism in VE prone areas of Niger.
The primary goal of this Activity is to reduce vulnerability to violent extremism by strengthening tools to address core grievances that drive extremism in VE prone areas of Niger. This will include: (1) strengthening the conflict mediation and dispute resolution capacity of customary justice and other informal structures at the local level, (2) improving access to the formal justice system through legal assistance, awareness raising, and targeted efforts to link citizens with the formal justice system, and (3) strengthening the Government of Niger and Civil Society Organizations’ ability to address human rights violations. The project is implemented in 3 regions of Niger: Tahoua, Tillabéry and Diffa.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the relationship and act as the primary point of contact with USAID, Freedom House and project partners with regards to activity implementation, compliance, collaboration, and management matters relating to the project
- Provide technical oversight, administration, fiscal management, and grant and contract administration and management, assuring quality, impact and cost effectiveness of the project.
- Hold overall responsibility for assuring that all assistance provided under the award is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed and for adequately managing and supervising the work of all field staff, long‐term staff, short‐term staff, consortium partners, and/or sub‐partners, as proposed.
- Effectively implement the project vision through overseeing the efficient, quality and impactful delivery of all projects’ intervention axes (1) strengthen the conflict mediation and dispute resolution capacity of customary justice and other informal structures at the local level, (2) improve access to the formal justice system through legal assistance, awareness raising, and targeted efforts to link citizens with the formal justice system, and (3) strengthen NGO and CSO ability to address human rights violations.
- Oversee multiple activities simultaneously, including hiring, training, mentoring, and supervising local personnel.
- Provide strong senior leadership, strategic and technical direction to the project team and as consortium lead, including relationship management with key stakeholders and project partners
- Assemble and motivate a team of international and local staff and short-term advisors, and effectively supervise project personnel
- Liaise with Search’s internal teams including Niger team, regional team (Dakar-based) and global HQ teams in Washington DC.
- Represent Search and the project at high level events and meetings, including public speaking engagements on relevant topic areas.
- Master’s degree (or higher) in Peace and Conflict Studies, Development, Political Science, International Affairs, Human Rights, Rule of Law or other relevant subjects.
- Minimum 5 years of senior management experience in managing large scale conflict, rule of law and human rights projects
- Minimum 2 years experience as Chief of Party, Team Leader or similar position, managing an international donor funded project over $10 million
Applications that do not meet the minimum qualifications and Experience requirements will not be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Senior management level experience (Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party or Senior Advisor) of a USAID project is a significant advantage.
- Experience managing subgrants and contracts under grants for complex projects. Proven ability to manage all aspects of grant and contract administration, and technical assistance staff with a commitment to teamwork
- Professional experience and knowledge of Niger’s political and civil society landscape and deep familiarity with access to justice, human rights and conflict resolution issues.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with U.S. Government international assistance program requirements, preferably USAID. Senior management level experience (Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party or Senior Advisor) of a USAID project is a significant advantage.
- Proven ability to manage technical assistance teams and leading multidisciplinary teams while developing a common vision
- Knowledge and experience of conflict, rule of law and human rights sectors
- Professional experience and knowledge of Niger and Experience in West Africa is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to foster a culture of respect and inclusion.
Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, and French
- Job City Niamey