Project HOPE is an international NGO of more than 500 engaged employees and hundreds of volunteers who work in more than 25 countries, responding to the world’s most pressing global health challenges Project HOPE seeks experienced professionals to support the anticipated USAID/Ethiopia Empowered Communities for Better Health (ECBH) Activity. Under this anticipated Activity, USAID/Ethiopia seeks to strategically use its convening power and limited resources to support Ethiopian stakeholders to empower communities to take ownership and action over their health and nutrition and drive a cycle of accountable and responsive health service delivery. ECBH is anticipated to be a five-year activity.
Code of Conduct
It is our shared responsibility and obligation to treat each other with respect, take affirmative steps to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse and Trafficking in Persons, and to disclose all potential and actual violations of our Code of Conduct, which may include Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption, Discrimination or Harassment. Together we can reinforce a culture of respect, integrity, accountability and transparency.
Position: Chief of Party-These position are contingent upon award and will be based in Addis Ababa.
The Chief of Party is accountable for the overall vision and leadership of the Activity and is accountable for delivering results. The successful candidate should possess significant experience managing program, financial, and operations of USAID- or other international donor-funded projects.
- Oversee the completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, in accordance with the project work plan.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with USAID, project partners, and key stakeholders. Serve as the primary liaison among all project stakeholders.
- Manage the project’s operational, financial, and administrative priorities; direct the planning and budgeting processes. Create or adapt management systems in line with PROJECT HOPE’s standard operating procedures, ensuring consistency with project needs.
- Build partnerships among international -, national- and community-level stakeholders
- Design and oversee an annual project cycle in accordance with USAID’s annual planning cycles
- With staff and partners, translate project goals and objectives into implementable strategies and plans. Oversee the preparation of quarterly and annual project activity reports, M&E reports, and other deliverables, as specified in the agreement. Report against the project’s targets.
- Represent the project at high-level meetings, conferences, and other fora.
- Guide team members to fulfill the project’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Supervise and mentor senior staff, delegating responsibilities as appropriate. Clearly communicate expectations for staff performance.
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences, infectious disease, nutrition, development studies or a relevant field.
- Minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible experience in international development project management (USAID program management preferred); previous Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, or senior management experience on USAID similar programs.
- Proven exceptional leadership in the design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of international donor-supported programs, with skills in strategic planning and thinking, management, supervision and budgeting, and experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
- Proven experience building capacity for local government, local organizations and community leaders.
- Experience with one or more of the following: MCH; FP; nutrition; community health systems strengthening; social accountability for health; social behavior change and communication; quality improvement/quality assurance.
- Demonstrated skills building and maintaining relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff and teams.
- Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, as evidenced in previous management positions and programming. Demonstrated commitment to PSEAH (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Harassment).
- Experience managing required programmatic and financial reporting requirements. Experience with M&E is a plus.
- Previous experience in Ethiopia and/or East Africa is a strong advantage.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) is required; knowledge of local languages is a plus.
- Ability to travel within Ethiopia as required and as security conditions apply.
- Job City Addis Ababa