Near East Foundation (NEF)
Position: Chief of Party
Location: Bamako, Mali
Travel: Frequent travel to project sites
Position pending. Anticipated start Fall 2020
The Near East Foundation seeks a Chief of Party (COP) candidate for the anticipated USAID/Mali Feed the Future Activity in Mali. The Activity will contribute to achieving the Global Food Security Strategy primary objectives for Mali: (i) inclusive and sustainable agriculture-led growth; (ii) increased resilience of people and communities to economic, health and climate shocks; and (iii) improved nutrition and WASH status, especially of women, adolescent girls and children. position is expected to start in fall of 2020 and will be based in Bamako, Mali. Hiring is contingent upon successful award of the project and USAID approval of the candidate.
For over 100 years, NEF has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East and Africa through education, governance, and economic development initiatives. NEF’s work is organized around three program areas: Peacebuilding through Economic Cooperation, Inclusive Economic Development, and Climate Resilient Development. NEF has continuously operated in Mali since 1984, where we operate community-led programs on sustainable and resilient agriculture-led economic growth, food security, climate adaptation, and governance.
Working within NEF’s regional program structure, the CoP will lead a team of technical and project management specialists to deliver excellent programming. The COP is responsible for overall leadership, administration, operations oversight, and management of the activity. S/he will be responsible for leading the consortium of partners implementing the Activity with NEF, including regular and productive coordination, ensuring clear roles and responsibilities, capacity building, and providing operations oversight.
S/he will be the primary liaison with USAID, represent the project to stakeholders, and ensure coordination with other initiatives in the region. Working with NEF staff in Mali and Headquarters, partners, and USAID, s/he will provide sound technical direction and project delivery to achieve desired outcomes and impacts.
- Serve as primary project representative and contact point for USAID and client relations;
- Work collaboratively with the project team and partners and coordinate closely with USAID to develop overall project strategy and direction and to develop and implement annual program work plans and performance milestones plans;
- Work closely and coordinate with NEF – Mali Country Director to support project delivery and ensure harmony among in-country programs;
- Establish the administrative framework to monitor and assure progress toward achieving project goals and objectives, in compliance with USAID and NEF policies and regulations;
- Work closely with designated NEF staff, USAID, and project partners to ensure a smooth and rapid start-up of the program;
- Assume responsibility for overall project administration, team management, coordination, operations oversight, delivery and progress against approved work plan and reporting against the project performance-monitoring plan;
- Identify issues and risks related to implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments;
- Ensure the timely and quality completion of all program technical and financial deliverables and reports in accordance with the contract and USAID guidelines;
- Represent the project in public communications, outreach and networking;
- Support capacity building of local NEF and partner staff;
- Contribute to the project’s safety and security approach, working with NEF-Mali and NEF headquarters teams, USAID, and partners to adaptively manage the activity in a dynamic context to ensure beneficiary, staff, and partner safety and to achieve desired outcomes;
- Facilitate collaboration with the donor, NEF field offices, partner organizations, and other project stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, International Relations, Agribusiness, business management, public administration or other relevant fields of study
- 10 years minimum of relevant work experience with development organizations implementing agriculture, value chain development, market-systems, and capacity building projects
- Proven track record in project management, including project planning, implementation and oversight, including managing budgets in developing countries
- Experience designing and implementing projects in Mali or similar contexts in sub-Saharan Africa
- Current working knowledge of the Mali context including knowledge of relevant Ministries, Administrative Units and INGO coordination offices
- Experience in effective people and team management, including implementation of code of conduct, safeguarding and anti-corruption measures
- Experience in managing the safety of staff and assets
- Prior experience managing USAID projects and a strong working knowledge of USG rules, regulations and policies
- Understanding of the concepts behind, and practical application of humanitarian codes and standards such as SPHERE, People In Aid Code, and Core Humanitarian Standard
- Fluency in both English and French; excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to pass a comprehensive pre-employment background check
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Knowledge of local languages
How to apply:
NEF will accept a rolling application until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Review of applications will begin on Monday, November 25, 2019.
Please apply by visiting our careers page at https://neareast.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=59 with the following documents:
- Cover letter outlining relevant experience, availability and salary history
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of three references (including one from current, or most recent, employer)
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org.
The Near East Foundation promotes Equal Employment Opportunities for all applicants seeking employment and NEF employees.
This is non-dependent/s post.
- Job City Bamako