Creative is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Burkina Faso. The COP will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. The COP ensures compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant donor rules and regulations.
Have experience in implementing governance projects that engage and work across levels of government administration with significant emphasis on building civic engagement in governance processes. S/he must possess strong facilitation, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills, and a proven track record of building trust and working effectively with a range of government, private sector, civil society, and community-based actors. Given the complexity and scope of this activity, it is critical that the COP is dynamic and exhibits effective personnel and resource management, coordination, conflict resolution, facilitation, and decision-making skills.
Reporting and Supervision:
This position reports to the Project Director in the CIT Division or his/her designee.
- Manages and is responsible for technical and financial performance of the project;
- Provides technical direction, leadership, and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Ensures technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to Creative’s policies and procedures and consistent with USAID regulations;
- Works in partnership with the Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication with the Home Office around the project’s progress and potential issues;
- Develops and implements work plans for project activities;
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensures that project results are met;
- Supervises development and submission of project deliverables and provides timely and accurate reporting and briefings to U.S. Government/Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Oversees implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues;
- Responsible for managing the project’s relationships with federal, state, and local counterparts, NGOs, and other stakeholders;
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities, and ensures that project results and targets are met;
- Supports the implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues and addressing local staffing and personnel issues related to security; and
- Manages project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development and solicits constructive staff input.
- The Government of Burkina Faso, particularly at the local level, is able to efficiently and effectively provide services to address the needs of its community.
- Citizens, local and community-based organizations and groups have the capacity to advocate for their needs and constructively communicate with government.
- Citizens and the state regularly engage in productive dialogue officials.Qualifications
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as social sciences, law, development studies, etc; or bachelor’s degree with five (5) additional years of relevant international development experience;
- At least ten (10) years of relevant experience working in governance programs, including experience with a Contractor or international NGO with demonstrated supervisory experience;
- At least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in senior program management;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge establishing systems and overseeing start-up under limited time constraints as well as program close-out;
- Demonstrated experience applying principles of adaptive management to complex development programs;
- Experience working in the democracy and governance sector in West Africa, preferably Burkina Faso;
- Experience in the hiring and supervising of host country local personnel and ensuring, when need arises, that they secure necessary training required to meet program needs;
- Financial management experience, including budgeting; financial management (tracking, reporting, and accounting); and procurement;
- Experience with activity design, development, and implementation;
- Strong management and leadership skills, including the ability to mentor staff;
- Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming;
- Fluency in French and English, written and spoken;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Strong analytical capacity.
- Job City Ouagadougou