*Position is contingent upon funding and donor approval.
*Please submit your CV in English.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The purpose of the Chief of Party (CoP) position is to manage structure, coordinate and support the full USAID-funded Early Childhood Education activity in Ethiopia. The position holder is required to collaborate with the Ministry of Education and other critical partners to provide strategic and high-level support for effective capacity building at the local level and sustainability of the project interventions. The COP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and World Vision Ethiopia regulations.
Project and Budget Management:
- Manage proactive and responsive relationship with USAID in close collaboration with World Vision staff both in Ethiopia and in the U.S.
- Direct and oversee grant implementation, ensuring that all strategic objectives are met through proper design, staffing, implementation, and quality assurance.
- Establish a comprehensive understanding about major policy, strategy and program landscape of ECDE in the Country; identify, develop and undertake viable strategies for successful institutionalization and sustainability of ECDE.
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines to achieve project objectives.
- Ensure the development of strong M&E mechanisms, program monitoring tools and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation.
- Ensure the application of robust evidence and learning system to inform the implementation of the project.
- Consistently look for more effective and efficient implementation methods and opportunities to increase impact in children with disabilities and disadvantages.
Collaboration with Associations and Organizations and Capacity Building:
- Play an influencing role through forging strong partnership with major ECDE policy and strategy level actors in the country for enhanced outcomes of the project.
- Provide policy and strategy level advisory assistance to MoE and other major ECDE actors.
- Represent World Vision Ethiopia with partners and key stakeholders, maintain positive relationships with USAID, local ministries, and the country office team.
- Liaise with local government officials, especially education officials, local communities, donor representatives and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Liaise with Ministry of Education, local government officials, local communities, donor representatives and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- The CoP will work closely with the awards manager to ensure that the PROMOVER project is implemented according to USAID polices and principles and that there are no disallowable expenses.
- S/he will report any variance (budget or programmatic) on time to USAID after internal consultation.
- Establish and maintain effective project reporting, evaluation, and communication systems.
- Submit timely, accurate and professional reports that meet donor requirements.
- Manage grant/project budget within approved spending levels and ensure project staff submit accurate and timely financial reports, forecasts, and burn rate analyses to donors and Support Office staff.
- Supervise a team of senior level international and national staff with ECDE technical skills.
- Lead grant operations staff including finance, M&E, and communications.
- Provide the necessary support to ensure that all technical and project personnel function within approved budgets and in accordance with USAID and WV regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines. Promote staff integration and a good work environment.
Communication and Capacity Building:
- Work closely with Communication and Strategy teams to develop and implement effective marketing and communication (both internal and external) that ensure knowledge capture and learning across the organisation.
- Serve as focal point for USAID ECE project and actively participate in the required meetings/forums and others.
- Participate in Christ-centered commitment activities, creates opportunities for spiritual reflection to increase passion for ministry and demonstrates Christian principles in work and lifestyle.
- Contribute to SEE4C team operations and perform additional responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Master’s degree in education, especially with a focus on Early Childhood Development Education program or equivalent experience in Education program management.
- Familiarity with USAID programs, their history and their development; mastery of USAID regulations governing such programs.
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, effective organizational development, partnership building, managerial, team building, and communications skills.
- Proven ability to coordinate with other key stakeholders such as governmental and non-governmental organizations in Ethiopia.
- Strong presentation and report writing skills.
- Experience of leading large and diverse teams.
- Experience in leading and managing large grants in a complex environment.
- Experience as a CoP, “key personnel”, or senior expert advisor required.
- Experience in managing sub grants and contracts under grants for complex projects.
- Fluency in English.
- 10+ years of extensive international development experience managing large grant-funded projects in developing countries.
- At least 5 years managing large education projects.
- 2+ years in senior roles.
- Coaching and team building.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Sound knowledge and experience of effective and proven experiences of coaching large teams.
- Sound knowledge and experience of on Early Childhood Education program.
- Sound knowledge of strategies and techniques to manage the effective implementation of USAID funded large grants.
- Excellent relationship building skills including ability to engage and influence across all levels with key decision makers / executives of a variety of key external organisations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team.
- Experience successfully building local capacity and local systems strengthening through programming.
- English, required. Other local languages are preferable.
- Work environment: Office-based with some travel.
- Travel: The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 25 % of the time.
On call: as required.
- Job City Addis Ababa