Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University. Jhpiego develops innovations for enhancing capacity of health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care towards improving the health and well-being of the people.
Since 1999, Jhpiego has been collaborating with Government of Malawi Ministry of Health (MoH) and various partners in implementing a wide-range of interventions in maternal health, family planning and reproductive health, newborn and child health, HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis. Current key projects include the Support for Service Delivery Integration-Services (SSDI-Services), Maternal and Child Health Integrated Program (MCHIP) and Department of Defense Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) program.
“SANKHANI Moyenela-Smart Choice” is a 4-year USAID-funded MCHIP Associate Award which aims at scaling up Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) services in Malawi, targeting males age 15-49 years in five districts by providing 150,000 circumcisions by 2017. The core project goals are to strengthen National VMMC quality assurance system, increase access and availability of VMMC services, and pilot integration of EIMC into maternity services. SANKHANI is currently present in three districts in the Southern region of Malawi: Thyolo, Chikwawa and Zomba.
Jhpiego intends to recruit a skilled and dynamic professional for the following position:
CHIEF OF PARTY; Based in Blantyre, MALAWI
The Chief of Party will provide overall programmatic and managerial oversight to the USAID funded MCHIP Associate Award “SANKHANI Moyenela-Smart Choice” project in Malawi focusing on HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment, specifically on male circumcision. S/he will guide the strategic planning, design and implementation of the project and be responsible for and manage all donor and partner relationships. S/he will work closely with Ministry of Health (MOH) to streamline efforts and ensure complementarities of projects. S/he will ensure timely and cost-effective project implementation, reporting of activities, and will be responsible for all project deliverables to the donor. S/he will supervise a team of highly qualified staff and will reports to Jhpiego Malawi Country Director.
- Lead annual work planning process
- Provides overall strategic management and technical direction for the program
- Leeds the program to ensure attainment of results
- Facilitate the development of innovative project approaches and interventions
- Collaborate with the Senior Technical Team to oversee project activities, ensure timely implementation, and timely and accurate reporting to donor
- Engage with Malawian stakeholders working on similar projects to support the MOH and district health management teams with a coordinated response
- Supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff (mostly Malawian nationals) and align their efforts in concert with project goals
- Represent the project in all matters pertaining to the execution of project-related activities
- Provide updates on the progress made, direction, approaches and successes of the project to donor and partners, and internally within Jhpiego
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets and provide oversight on core funding agreements
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and maintain systems that are compliant with the organization set systems
- Clinical and/or management Master’s degree in public health
- Demonstrated ability to manage large (funding range between $10-50M) USG-supported public health projects and budgets.
- 10+ years of professional, progressively more responsible management experience of international public health programs phases (design, implementation, monitor, reporting, and financial management).
- Experience managing a multi-partner consortium (both international and local NGOs)
- Experience developing successful, replicable and sustainable projects in East and Southern Africa, preferably in Malawi
- Experience designing and managing complex HIV/AIDS, prevention, care and treatment programs
- Proven leadership skills and expertise in strategic program planning, implementation and management
- Ability to build capacity and collaboration between governmental and non-governmental partners and other project implementers
- Experience designing and supervising activities with a facility/community interface.
- Has experience building the capacity of community based organizations to implement project activities
- Solid work experience in Malawi health sector
- Understanding of USG donor’s regulations and compliance, reporting requirements, and health strategic framework
- Ability to travel in Malawi and internationally
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Experience in leading annual work plans, incorporating national Technical Working Groups directives, and collaborating on local action plans.
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence. Excellent interpersonal and written and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a complex environment charged with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Capacity for analyzing technical problems and issues that impede efforts to provide improved health care to populations; developing technical solutions to these problems/issues and assisting in the design of operational research that could yield appropriate solutions
- A team player accustomed to building team capacity, delegating working teams, and developing communities of learning among host country partners and counterparts
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package including: medical and dental plans; paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; personal accident insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; life and disability insurance; travel insurance; education assistance plan and more.
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- Job City Blantyre