The Environmental Monitoring Group is an independent NGO established in 1991 and working to promote the effective participation of civil society in environmental policy and practice so as to contribute to achieving greater social and environmental justice in South African society and globally.
EMG seeks to appoint a Communications Officer to be based in Cape Town.
This is a part-time position
- Batchelor’s degree or equivalent
- Proven track-record in the communications field
- A passion for environmental and social justice
- Sound understanding of SA’s socio-environmental context and environmental policy and the role and challenges of civil society
- Ability to manage websites and other social media platforms used by EMG
- Proficiency in at least one layout programme
- Understanding of the essentials of publishing materials in different media and formats
- Command (spoken and written) of English and at least one other local language
- Ability to write and contribute to organisational documents (reports, funding proposals, media releases, etc.)
- Ability to effectively edit text drafted by colleagues
- Ability to communicate effectively on behalf of the organisation (to the media, government and the public)
- Ability to design, convene and facilitate seminars and webinars
- Public relations skills suited to engaging with journalists, donors and visitors to the organisation
- Knowledge of the SA NGO and Public Sectors
- Insight into the complexities of linkages between water, climate change and environmental justice
- Knowledge of South African networks that include the NGO sector, the public sector and academia
- Ability to effectively communicate climate change issues in local languages other than English and have a good knowledge of the content of EMG’s current local and global work and its links to international environmental agreements
- linked into networks in the environmental and related sectors
- politically astute but not ideologically dogmatic
- self-motivated and able to self-manage effectively
- Ability to work well in a loosely structured team environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from EMG, partner organisations and community based partners
- Must be emotionally stable and mature
- Be committed to a non-racial and gender-equitable society
- Be a South African citizen (or hold a valid work permit) and be able to travel and work afterhour and on weekends from time-to-time
To apply, submit your application to [email protected]
- A motivation letter addressed to the Director, EMG
- A short CV (max four pages)
- An indication of your expected salary
EMG is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse staff profile that reflects the diversity of our country.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EMG reserves the right not to make an appointment.
EMG reserves the right to withdraw this call for whatever reason.
- Job City Cape Town