Community Engagement-Public Health Promotion Team Leader (INT5671)
Closing date: 20/06/2019
**(Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.)***
Location: Butembo/Beni/Goma (depending on progress of Ebola response) with frequent travel to all Ebola response field locations
Contract: 6 months
Salary: as per Global C1 salary scale / In line with Oxfam Values & according to location]
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
We are looking for Community Engagement-Public Health Promotion Team Leader
What we are looking for
The person will lead Oxfam’s Community Engagement and Public Health work including the design, implementation and adaptation of community-level response activities within an assigned geographically area. The CE-PHP Team leader is responsible for ensuring that all activities (including health promotion, WASH and Gender and Protection mainstreaming) serve Oxfam’s main purpose of building trust with communities have in the health services and in the response. This entails a strong focus on community level analysis, working closely with protection and gender experts to design and adapt community outreach and dialogue.
External participation in external coordination fora is vital to raise community’s concern and finding joint and culturally appropriate solutions strengthening community’s role in the outbreak response. The job purpose is also to develop, capacity build and lead a vibrant CE-PHP team, lead an integrated response with the health promotion, engineering and cross cutting sectoral teams such as advocacy, protection and gender.
The nature of the Ebola crisis and its management in areas marked by ongoing conflict requires flexible approaches and thus the strong ability to adapt to a changing environment.
This role will give you an opportunity to act as key contributor to our work of supporting those most in need. You will also have a chance to work in a fast paced, dynamic and internationally focused environment.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organization. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Programme design, implementation and adaptation:
· Guide all technical team in using epidemiological data and community feedback to make programme adaptations on a rolling basis;
· Work closely with gender, protection team members to establish a solid understanding of community’s risks, perceptions, vulnerability and power dynamics, and insure that this is integrated within the response plan and activities;
· Technically manage the design and implementation of community based public health promotional and WASH activities in Ebola affected areas and those at high risk;
· Together with other actors/agencies, support communities & reinforce systems that encourage treatment-seeking behaviour and health monitoring;
· Work closely with MEAL team, to design and implement context appropriate accountability mechanisms and ensure that qualitative and quantitative data collected is timely analysed and reported to inform programme progress and management action/decision (ie. sitreps) and is shared with other actors and the communities;
· Work closely with MEAL and other technical teams to use participatory methods in measuring community’s participation in and satisfaction of Oxfam’s public health promotional activities and the wider response system.
Capacity building, team development and management:
· Capacity build the CE&PHP team on communication and facilitation skills and use of real-time data to foster meaningful dialogue and continuous interaction with high risk groups;
· Provide systematic support and capacity building to the CE&PHP and cross-sectoral team to enhance community focal point’s capacity in community outreach, dialogue, action planning and implementation;
· Manage, support and supervise the CE&PHP, PHE and cross-sectoral team to ensure high quality programming. This includes their induction; performance management and the development of work plans indicating clear targets and achievements as part of the overarching programme framework.
· Represent and participate actively in external sub-coordination mechanism to voice community’s feedback and provide technical steer in promoting a community centred response;
· Coordinate with other agencies and actors to harmonize community engagement approaches within the district/area of intervention to ensure that we are informing and influencing the work of other actors in this area;
· Responsible for the internal coordination of all technical sectors: public health engineer, protection, MEAL, gender and advocacy and actively participate in weekly programme meetings;
· Work with support service such as logistics and finance to ensure the timely procurement and delivery of supplies as well as payment of community focal points.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
· A suitable qualification in any discipline relating to anthropology, sociology, communication, public health with a background in community development /gender / protection. Experience could substitute for a formal qualification, but not vice versa.
· Minimum of 2 to 3 years’ practical experience in community level work. It is essential that some of this should have been in emergency programmes.
· Strong interest and proven experience in community level analysis and participation.
· Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
· Strong experience in team and project management.
· Ability to present concise reports and proposals, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations. Diplomacy, tact and administrative skills in order to work with people at managerial and, on occasions, senior government levels.
· Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
· Ability to work under stress and to deadlines often at short notice;
· Strong interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
· Excellent written and spoken French is essential.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. **
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile. OR
Go to: for external applicants: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk
For internal applicants: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/internal
Search for the vacancy using the reference number INT5671
Complete the online application process
Ensure you submit your application before midnight (GMT) on the closing date. Unless a different time is specified in the advert.
- Job City Beni