The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Mobilization Assistant
Requisition ID: req20732
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The Community Mobilization Assistant assists the Program Manager/Coordinator with activities of the WPE program specifically in the spectrum of GBV prevention.
- The community mobilizer lead information and monitoring of community structures (WAG, SASA! Activist, EMAP) activities as well as establishing and monitoring weekly meetings of VSLA groups and conduct DGS sessions to VSLA members and their spouses.
- She/he will help design prevention activities that will improve program quality. Will take the lead in community outreach/mobilizations and sensitizations on GBV prevention, mitigation, response and referral pathways.
- He or she will also lead in developing IEC materials that will improve on prevention and response of GBV in Yobe state.
- Raise awareness and promote changes in attitudes and behaviours regarding gender, gender equality and GBV.
- Promote active community participation in prevention and response to GBV.
- Develop and implement prevention strategies.
- Ensure the formation of community groups for response and prevention activities.
- Work with the WPE Trainer to facilitate Training and sensitizations to community groups, local partners and CBOs on GBV issues.
- Promote the involvement of men and youth in GBV activities.
- Utilize participatory methodology to assess community needs in relation to GBV. Utilize participatory methodology and adult education techniques to assist communities in developing community-driven prevention and response plans.
- Mobilize community to form Women Action Group (WAG) and Start Awareness Support Action (SASA!) for awareness raising and encourage greater self-reliance among women in the communities.
- In collaboration with case workers ensure that women are engaged in psychosocial activities at the women’s centres.
- Mobilize communities to form VSLA groups and DGS groups
- In collaboration with caseworkers and trainers, identify and mobilize communities and establish Engaging Men Through Accountable Practices (EMAP) for behavioural change and attitudes towards ending violence against women and girls
Planning, Collaboration and Coordination:
- In collaboration with the Ministry of Women Affairs ensure the formation of GBV community committees in WPE operational areas.
- In collaboration with WPE Case Worker and Capacity Building Assistant, Women action groups, Youth Groups, identify training needs of community members and carryout training in a consistent and appropriate manner.
- Liaise with community leaders, government agencies, IRC sectors, Partners to organize training and capacity building activities.
- Advocate Government agencies, traditional leaders and other implementing partners on the elimination of violence against women and girls
- Promote women’s active participation in the leadership and decision-making of the community.
- In collaboration with community Trainers and community members conduct security mapping in the camps to identify potential security risks areas and develop strategies to address them.
- Assist WPE Program Manager and Coordinator in strategic planning to ensure ongoing Programming.
- Compile and summarize weekly and monthly statistics and narratives reports and submit to WPE Program manager in a timely manner.
- Properly file all reports in a safe and secure manner.
- Communicate all obstacles/Problems to WPE Program Manager for further action.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow-up on trainings/sensitizations/meetings conducted to ensure implementation of plans accordingly.
- Training and proper monitoring of EMAP facilitators to ensure sessions are facilitated according to the module
- Ensure that all conducts are in line with IRC Mandatory Reporting policy.
- Follow-up on psycho-social support activities and ensure that these activities are conducted appropriately and meet the needs of purpose for which they are intended.
- Participate in registration and distribution of NFIs (dignity kits, household kits, and risk reduction materials)
- Carryout work with respect to IRC security concerns, protocols, and established policy inclusive of ensuring the safety of IRC beneficiaries from exploitive relationships.
- Adherence to the IRC code of conduct (IRC WAY) that ensures transparency, services and accountability to beneficiaries and reports any abuse of beneficiaries by other IRC staff, including sexual exploitation and abuse in accordance with the IRC reporting procedures.
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor from time to time.
- Adherence to the IRC Security Policy.
- Maintain positive coordination and relationships with partner and other IRC sector staff.
- University Degree in Psychology, Sociology, Social Sciences, or equivalent is a requirement.
Demonstrated Experience, Skills and Competencies:
- Must have working experience in outreach and community mobilization program for at least 1 year.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for clients always is essential.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Must have higher-level education in Community Development
- Previous experience with community mobilization using participatory methodology.
- Good interpersonal and problem-solving skills and flexibility.
- Prefer experience with participatory /adult learning techniques
- Must possess interest and commitment to Human Rights, Gender Equality and Gender issues
- Must be enthusiastic and creative.
- Must be fluent in community language, spoken and written English. Fluency in Kanuri will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required.
- Be able to work effectively in unstable, challenging, and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to keenly observe confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work as part of a TEAM.
- English, Kanuri, Hausa and or local dialects are spoken in the location.
- Describe the work environment of the office (“Standard office work environment” will be applicable for most jobs in the U.S.) and if applicable, the housing. For example, internet connections, electricity, amenities, group housing, etc. Include travel requirements.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Program Manager
- Position directly supervises; None.
- Indirect Reporting: Program Coordinator
- Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: this includes other IRC sectors child protection and PRoL sector.
- External: nil.
- Job City Damaturu, YOBE, Nigeria