1. Background of the Consultancy
CBM is an international Christian development organization, committed to improving the quality of life of people with disabilities. We work in partnership addressing disability as a cause and consequence of poverty so as to create an inclusive society for all. We recognize that this desire can only be achieved through systemic change, transforming communities and supporting others to make disability inclusion a reality. Our programme work is in the areas of Inclusive Eye Health (IEH), Community Based Inclusive Development (CBID), Community Mental Health (CMH) and Inclusive Humanitarian Action (IHA). www.cbm.org. In line with our Federation Strategy and CBM in Kenya Country Office Implementation Plan, we are inspired to be a reference organization in disability inclusive development with emphasis on execution excellence in all areas of our work.
In Kenya, the framework for delivery of eye health services is anchored in the National Health Sector Strategic Plan and National Health Policy (2014-2030) whose ultimate goal is to provide the highest attainable standard of health care to all Kenyans. To achieve SDG 3 (Good health and well-being), the Government is committed to implementing Universal Health Coverage as one of the “Big Four” agenda, an integral part of the country’s efforts to attain the desired status of health care for all.
The Ministry of Health Ophthalmic Services Unit has concluded development of “The Kenya National Eye Health Strategy 2020 – 2025” that focuses on integrated people-centred eye care for universal health coverage. This strategy is to guide the development of national level innovative program design which matches geographic needs and priorities. The strategic plan has been designed around the health systems strengthening pillars, that is, governance, service delivery, financing, human resources, information systems, health products and technologies, infrastructure, and research in ensuring delivery and access to integrated, comprehensive and inclusive eye health services.
Therefore, CBM is seeking to develop a five-year eye health Development Impact Bond (DIB) programme in Kenya, based on the “The Kenya National Eye Health Strategy 2020 – 2025” and the CBM Inclusive Eye Health Initiative (IEH) Plan.
2. Purpose of the Consultancy
In conjunction with CBM in Kenya Country Office and Ministry of Health Ophthalmic Services Unit, the consultant will take the lead in developing a compelling and evidence-based integrated, comprehensive and inclusive eye health DIB Concept Note aligned with the National Eye Health Strategic Plan 2020 – 2025 and the CBM IEH Initiative Plan. The incumbent will ensure efficient, quality, and timely delivery of the Concept Note, logical framework and high level budget plan through a participatory process.
3. Specific Tasks to be performed
The successful Consultant will develop, in close collaboration with Ministry of Health Ophthalmic Services Unit, target County Governments, CBM team and eye health stakeholders an integrated, comprehensive and inclusive Concept Note that will require undertaking at least the following tasks:
· Conduct eye health Situation Analysis (SA) in at least 10 target Counties.
· Conduct site visits or virtual meetings to consult with relevant internal and external stakeholders so as to incorporate input into the Concept Note document.
· Through a collaborative process, identify a list of key preferred practices and standards including tools, manuals and guidelines to be anchored in the national eye health programme.
· Based on the primary and secondary data and information gathered review and update the draft Concept Note.
4. Outcomes of the Consultancy
· An inception report detailing interpretation of the ToR, plan of action, timeline, and budget for conducting the assignment.
· Succinct eye health Situation Analysis Report (SAR) for the target Counties.
· Final Concept Note in agreed format.
· Logical framework.
· High level Euro 15 million budget.
5. Lines of Communication
The consultant will report to the CBM in Kenya Country Director and will work closely with the representatives of other stakeholders.
Approximately 30 working days, starting 25th August 2020 to 13th October 2020 (please note the start/end date of the assignment may change due to unavoidable circumstances in which case a revised time frame will be drawn up with the mutual agreement of both parties).
Activities and the proposed timelines
- Advertisement for the Consultancy: 28 th July 2020 – 11th August 2020
- Establishment of Advisory Committee by CBM- 13th August 2020
- Interviews for the Consultancy by Advisory Committee; selection process- 18th August 2020
- Advisory Committee meeting: Inception report review; induction on the assignment; Contract signing- 27th August 2020
- Re-submission of final inception report- 28th August 2020
- Situation Analysis; submission of draft SAR – 31st August – 11th September 2020
- Advisory committee meeting to review the SAR- 15th September 2020
- Review of SAR and incorporate feedback; re-submit final SAR on 16th – 17th September 2020
- Draft Concept Note review; Logical framework/timeline and high level budget; submission-
18th – 29th September 2020
- Advisory committee meeting to review draft CN, LF/timeline and budget – 5th – 6th October 2020 (D1 – CN; D2 – LF/Timeline and budget)
- Review of CN, LF/Timeline and budget to incorporate feedback; submission – 7th – 12th October 2020
- Final Concept Note, Logical framework and budget submission – 13th October 2020
**. Qualifications and Experience**
· Preferably an advanced University Degree (Masters or equivalent) in Public Health, Development Studies, Business Administration or related field.
· Minimum ten years of experience from leading the design, execution, and/or management of multi-sectoral development programmes in the eye health sector.
· Demonstrated strong programme design skills, including capacity to prepare logical, coherent, and consistent technical full concept notes and proposals (narratives and budgets) for institutional donors.
· Ability to integrate different knowledge, experiences, methodologies, and approaches from a diverse range of stakeholders, organizations, and technical experts through adapting facilitation techniques.
· Proven knowledge of country context and devolved health system in Kenya.
· Working knowledge of health systems strengthening approach or design of integrated, comprehensive and inclusive programs.
· Demonstrated experience in writing high quality and/or grant winning concept notes and proposals.
· Excellent writing, editing and organizational skills paying close attention to detail in all tasks, integrity and professional discretion.
· Flexibility to adapt to any subsequent changes in the terms of reference (ToR).
· Willingness and ability to organize and deliver virtual meetings.
· Excellent English speaking/writing skills required; prior experience of facilitating multi-stakeholders’ workshops and dialogues.
Note: The above mentioned tasks to be performed are intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as shall be modified in consultation with the successful candidate or firm.
9. What to include in the application
· The application should contain a technical and financial proposal. The technical proposal should clearly show the understanding and interpretation of the assignment in the context of Kenya, methodology to be used in undertaking the assignment, time frame and activity schedule.
· The financial proposal should include the daily rate in Kenya shillings as well as indication of other support costs that may be involved to successfully undertake the assignment.
This is competency based recruitment. The application proposals should be accompanied by the following documents to exhibit key competencies and credentials of the applicants:
· Up-to-date CV reflecting relevant experiences and qualifications.
· Cover letter stating your motivation to undertake the assignment.
· At least three key reference contacts for most recent relevant work done.
How to apply
Submit your application documents including tax compliance certificates via e-mail to [email protected]
Application deadline: 11th August 2020
Only short-listed candidates/firm will be contacted
- Job City Nairobi