Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Consultant, Graphic Arts & Infographics
Job Ref: 190000XJ
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- The purpose of the consultancy is to support CDGP communications by providing graphics design and layout services.
- CDGP is a five-year pilot programme supported by UKAid. It is aimed at tackling poverty and hunger and reduce malnutrition in children in Jigawa and Zamfara states in Northern Nigeria. Save the Children is leading the INGO consortium delivering the programme, in partnership with Action Against Hunger (ACF). The CDGP will run to July 31st 2019.
- The CDGP provides a Cash Transfer grant of 4,000 NGN (approximately £14) per month for up to 90,000 pregnant women and women with children under the age of 2 in Jigawa and Zamfara states. The cash transfer is accompanied by nutritional education, advice and counselling. The predictable monthly cash transfer is expected to contribute to increased food security, improve intake of more nutritious food, leading to improvement in child nutrition within 90,000 households.
- More broadly, the programme aimed to generate evidence of a scalable programme that shows how a well-designed cash transfer programme, targeted at the critical First 1,000 Days of a child’s life, can bring cost-effective immediate and long-term food security and nutrition benefits to eligible households with young children.
- CDGP is seeking the services of a qualified consultant to design, layout and embellish programme documents such as research reports, in infographic formats.
- The main purpose of the consultancy is to enhance the quality and readability of CDGP communications materials through graphic design.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize and execute creative graphic design and layout for researched materials from the CDGP and other printed and web-based communications materials taking into account CDGP and UKAid branding guidelines;
- Provide technical assistance for the development and production of high quality print materials;
- Develop infographics using supplied data to present core messages and organize complex information into visual representations;
- Incorporate comments and changes from CDGP technical staff;
- Liaise closely with Knowledge Management Adviser on final layout;
- Ensure that the final output(s) for each communication product will be the final web-ready and/or print-ready version;
- Deliver creative graphic and technical solutions (including infographics if required) for print, electronic, web-based and animated presentations.
- The consultant will work on a 14-day basis (through April and May 2019), as and when his/her services are required.
- Preparation phase/ review of programme reports: 4
- Design and development of infographic sketches: 6
- Review/feedback: 3
- Submission of final products/Final report: 1
- Total: 14
- Besides the preparatory phase meeting, the consultant is expected to work remotely.
- All work is to be delivered electronically.
Layout of the following documents:
- National Social Safety Net Programme: Political Economy Analysis (PEA)
- National Social Safety Net Programme: Gender Analysis
- CVs study
- Coverage Evaluation for Child Development Grant Programme (CDGP)
- Community members’ [in CDGP Communities] perception of fraud
- A consultancy end-of-assignment report outlining activities undertaken and achievements is to be submitted at the end of the period, by the consultant.
- Initial design concepts of programme studies/research (sketched on paper)
- Presentation of art worked concepts in more polished formats (1 main infographic per project report)
- Final selection and art working of infographics in all formats (vector, jpg, png, pdf, etc.)
- The graphics design consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Knowledge Management Adviser and overall direction of the National Programme Manager, CDGP.
Qualification and Experience
- Experienced Graduates of visual arts, graphic design, layout, document development and multimedia production with at least five years’ relevant experience;
- Excellent communication and evidence-based report writing skills;
- Experience in Communications for Development and Advocacy;
- Ability to review documents, interpret information and synthesize information and present it in a creative manner;
- Excellent skills in data visualization and experience in infographic designing
- Ability to design using various design software packages;
- Experience working with international development agencies is an asset.
Total duration: 14 days
- The consultant will work on a daily basis, as and when his/her services are required. Payment will be made upon satisfactory completion of the consultancy.
- Job City Abuja