UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose of the Consultancy:
To develop a three-year strategy to better enable Child Protection Sub-Sector actors to respond to the evolving context in a responsive, effective and harmonized manner.
Main Tasks of the Consultant:
- Review necessary documents for context and sector overview & develop key informant list, stakeholder engagement strategy, and questionnaire and meeting guide.
- Conduct meetings and workshops with key stakeholders and Child Protection Sub-Sector Members as outlined in workplan. This will involve field visits to locations in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe.
- Draft and present Child Protection Sub-Sector 3-year Strategy.
- Finalize and submit the approved Child Protection Sub-Sector 3-year Strategy
- Work-plan developed based on literature review (home-based)
- List of key stakeholders to engage, inclusive of child protection actors and those across other sectors and specialties (e.g. GBV, Education, MHPSS, Nutrition) and framework for engagement completed (home-based).
- Questionnaire and agenda drafted for key stakeholder interviews and meetings (home-based)
- Meeting and workshop report with clear background and recommendations (Maiduguri, Jere, Ngala, Monguno, Damaturu, Abuja, Yola)
- Draft strategy including (home-based)
- Early recovery, protracted crisis and emergency response strategies
- Contextualized approaches
- Joint or integrated approaches across sectors, where relevant
- Measurable indicators to track progress against strategy
- Capacity building gaps and ways of addressing gaps
- Linkages to the National Action Plan to End Violence against Children and other relevant national or local action plans
- Gaps in technical guidelines;
- Costed strategic work-plan with timeline.
- Workshop to present draft and solicit comments from all stakeholders (in Maiduguri & Abuja).
- Final consolidated and endorsed document developed and designed ready for launch and dissemination.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills Required:
- Advanced University Degree in Sociology, Anthropology, International Development or a field relevant to UNICEF’s work.
- At least 5 years’ experience in coordinating and managing child protection programmes in emergency and/or early recovery/development contexts.
- Previous experience working in UNICEF is highly desirable.
- Proven problem-solving skills; to assess situations, identify needs, and respond with recommendations to address identified issues during the course of the assignment;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Technical knowledge and experience in assessing quality of child protection in humanitarian action programming.
- Fluency in Spoken and Written English required.
63 days from the date of signing the contract.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Please submit your financial and technical proposal along with the application. Application without these will not be entertained.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Job City Abuja