After more than a decade of conflict and socio-political instability, the humanitarian situation in Mali continues to be dramatic, characterized by massive displacements of populations fleeing insecurity, dysfunctional basic services, already structurally failing, thus exacerbating the vulnerabilities of the populations. The regions of the North (including Timbuktu and Gao) and the center (Mopti) are the most affected by humanitarian crises.
International Medical Corps is proposing an integrated, multisectoral program to provide emergency assistance to populations affected by ongoing conflicts in the northern (Timbuktu and Gao) and central (Mopti and Douentza) regions of Mali. The intervention will respond to the immediate needs of the population—including, internally displaced, women, and children—and improve resilience of vulnerable communities. Considering the important needs in health, mental health and psychosocial support, nutrition and GBV, and especially the limited or even broken access to these services in the northern and central regions of the country, IMC proposes to extend its intervention in the Bourem health district, in the Gao region.
JOB SUMMARY: The Field Site Coordinator oversees the country program development in assigned Field Site and is responsible for timely and high-quality program implementation and operational support of that respective Field Site. The Field Site Coordinator provides supervision and leadership to both program and operational staff at the field site ensuring adherence to agreed work plans and reporting schedules as well as full compliance to IMC’s policies in the areas of Finance, HR, Logistics and Information Management. The Field Site Coordinator works in close coordination with Country Director, Finance, HR and Logistics senior staff, as well as technical staff to ensure that programmatic and operational strategies are implemented at the field site.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation:
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Coordinate at field level between sector specific program managers and technical team to ensure maximum impact of programs
• Maintain site-specific program management tools, namely but not restricted to work plans, procurement plans, HR plans and pipelines in consultation with relevant managers at field level
• Program budget management at site level – decides on budget allocations in consultation with site program focal points, guided by the technical leads
• Ensure that field site is within budget limits and projected spending
• Coordinates with the programs’ teams in monitoring site–specific accomplishments against targets developed tools
• Follow up with site level program implementation as per donor commitments – accountable for program deliverables
• Ensure all facilities in the field are well maintained and equipped
• Play a leadership role at field site level and foster a positive working environment
• Identify program development opportunities and contribute to the design of new program concepts and support of Country program development.
• Coordinates with the MEAL team in monitoring site–specific accomplishments against targets
Staff Management and Capacity Building
• Directly supervise program and operational focal points at field site level
• Contribute to knowledge increase of staff; facilitate training and knowledge exchange
• Recruit, train and supervise national staff as necessary; participate in recruitment of international staff as required
• Ensure compliance to local labor laws including working hours
• Ensure all staff in the field site know and understand IMC’s global and in-country HR policies and standards for professional conduct.
• Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
• Ensure mutual support within the team and contribute to teambuilding
• Facilitate and assure accurate and well documented reporting internally, to IMC HQ and to donors
• Assure that such reporting contributes to the effective management of the program and meets donor quality standards and compliance regulations
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
• Overall responsibility for ensuring field site’s commitments towards donors and IMC’s requirements on Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) requirements.
• Integrate MEAL into site strategies, frameworks, policies and plans for the field site.
• Include MEAL related roles and responsibilities to all staff who are working in the field site and responsible for program management and implementation.
• Direct site level management to adequately budget for MEAL activities across all grants.
• Ensures country level Community Based Feedback and Response Mechanism (CBFRM) is functioning, and adequately resourced.
• Ensures all highly sensitive complaints and feedback from the CBFRM are addressed and closed appropriately.
• Raises profile/awareness and importance of MEAL with other senior management members through routine review and briefing sessions.
• Oversee security management for program at site
• Manage staff activities and movements
• Ensures application and compliance of security protocols and policies
• Along with the Field based staff and Country management team, facilitate successful donor visits and internal monitoring visits and assessments
• Serves as the point of contact during site donors’ visits and in coordinating with program stakeholders at site level
• Represent IMC and liaise with local and national authorities, UN, NGO, and donor agencies to promote IMC programs, facilitate successful coordination of activities and ensure transparency
• Ensure positive interaction and good relations with partners in the region
• Ensure maximum visibility of the agency amongst the NGO community
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
Code of Conduct
As applicable to this position, an individual must promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout the organization and maintain a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
If this is a supervisory position, one must set an example of ethical behavior through one’s own conduct and oversight of the work of others; ensure that those who report to you have sufficient knowledge and resources to follow the standards outlined in the Code of Conduct & Ethics; monitor compliance of the people you supervise; enforce the Code of Conduct & Ethics and International Medical Corps’ policies, including the Safeguarding Policy and the Protection from Harassment, Bullying and Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, consistently and fairly; support employees who in good faith raise questions or concerns.
It is all staff shared responsibility and obligation to safeguard and protect populations with whom we work, including adults who may be particularly vulnerable and children. This includes safeguarding from the following conduct by our staff or partners: sexual exploitation and abuse; exploitation, neglect, or abuse of children, adults at risk, or LGBTI individuals; and any form of trafficking in persons. Staff are also responsible for preventing violations to our Code of Conduct and Ethics, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any violations to the Code of Conduct and Ethics or Safeguarding Policy, you have an obligation to report.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
• Typically, a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science, Health or related field is preferred. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
• Typically, 7+ years of relevant progressive experience in humanitarian or development sector/context. NGO programs and projects experience with increasing responsibilities, including a minimum of 3 years of international work experience in an operations management role is required.
• Familiarity with international humanitarian operation, coordination structures and the mandates of donors, UN agencies and NGO’s
• Ability to live and work in precarious environments
• Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
• Skills and knowledge in program sustainability and capacity building, public private partnerships and project monitoring and evaluation (both quantitative and qualitative methods)
• Knowledge and experience of budget preparation and management and donors’ requirements
• Profound cross-cultural awareness
• Ability to effectively work with government, community leaders, international/national organizations, donors, partners and other IMC relationships.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently following consultative processes
• Ability to relate to and motivate local staff effectively
• Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources
• Team player and strong communication skills, both oral and written
• Proficient in computer applications, especially with MS Word and MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
Additional Technical or Language Requirements
The incumbent must speak and write fluently both French and English
MISCONDUCT DISCLOSURE SCHEME
All offers of employment at International Medical Corps are subject to satisfactory references and background checks. International Medical Corps participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme from the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response (SCHR). In accordance with this, we will request information from an applicant’s previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
- Job City Mali