Overview & Responsibilities
The Department of Programmes is the central management and coordinating function for programme delivery and capacity development. It is responsible for the implementation of IDLO’s global programme portfolio for field and non-field locations in line with organisational strategy.
The Country Manager heads the IDLO Country Office in Liberia and reports to the Regional Programme Manager Africa (Rome HQ), working in close coordination with the Director of Programmes (Rome HQ) on strategic/representational issues. The Country Manager assumes overall responsibility for all representational, operational and programmatic activities of IDLO in-country. The Country Manager leads programme development and resource mobilization at the country level and ensures the implementation of high-quality programmes in Liberia, further positioning IDLO as a partner of excellence in advancing the rule of law.
The Country Manager will be responsible for this.
1. Representing IDLO before senior government officials, donors and the international community, as well as other external and internal stakeholders as appropriate.
- Liaising with host-country authorities on organizational, programmatic and operational matters.
- Advancing partnerships with national and international stakeholders in Liberia and representing IDLO in internal and external meetings.
- Coordinating programmatic and operational activities with judicial, executive and legislative authorities, civil society, donors and other stakeholders.
2. Assuming overall management of the IDLO programme portfolio, ensuring effective, efficient, results-based, and timely delivery of activities and results.
- Overseeing the implementation of the Country Office work plans, analyzing and anticipating delays and challenges, and proposing adjustments as required.
- Overseeing the financial management of the programme portfolio and reviewing financial reporting and budget forecasts.
- Advancing programme implementation in collaboration with technical, substantive, and project personnel, including ensuring HQ support, undertaking field visits and managing periodic programme progress reports.
- Providing technical support and supervision to ensure compliance with IDLO’s quality standards throughout programme implementation.
- Ensure the timely submission of donor reports.
3. Leading the development and implementation of the IDLO Liberia country strategy in line with IDLO’s global programmatic priorities.
- In coordination with the Regional Programme Manager, lead the development of country strategies and share accountability with the RPM for key performance indicators, ensuring that these are aligned with the IDLO Strategic Plan 2021-2024.
4. Leading programme development
- Identifying new programme opportunities and developing team capacity to design innovative programmatic interventions.
- Liaise with external stakeholders and donors to advance relationships to the benefit of IDLO, as well as lead in developing new donor and stakeholder partnerships at the country level.
- Oversee the design of proposal and implementation plans by means of organizational programme design tools, logic models and frameworks, work plans, monitoring reports, and others.
5. Responsible for the management of the IDLO Country Office.
- Effectively leading the IDLO country team by providing clear direction, addressing staff development, and implementing performance management through ongoing dialogue, feedback, and mentoring; motivate and support the team with a view to fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting.
- Overseeing contract management, including providing recommendations on extensions/promotions/terminations and other amendments to contracts.
- Monitoring and analyzing political, security, economic and other developments that may affect the implementation of IDLO’s programmatic portfolio.
- In coordination with IDLO HQ, record issues and risks and guide necessary Country Office’s responses to changes in the political and security situation.
- Managing security of the Country Office and staff in coordination with IDLO HQ.
Education and Work Experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent in international development, law, public administration, business administration, public policy, or other relevant social sciences.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience in an international governmental or non-governmental organization, designing and implementing complex programs.
- Proven experience in a managerial and supervisory capacity of human and financial resources and a track record in programme management and programme administration.
- Work experience in Africa is an advantage.
- Full professional competence in English written and verbal communication skills is essential.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- Familiarity with standard programme and data management tools and results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficient use of any other ICT software and internet software.
- Solid interpersonal skills; works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Self-motivated and able to use initiative to assist the organization in achieving its objectives.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
Terms & Conditions
The successful candidate will be contracted for a period of 12 months, with the possibility of extension, depending on satisfactory performance and continued funding availability.
IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of USD 99,540 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, hardship allowance, medical and mission insurance, and leave entitlements, including home leave and rest and recuperation (R&R) in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications from qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The Application Deadline is 31 December 2022 (23:59hrs Rome Time).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee/consultant/intern assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the consultancy opportunity to meet business and organizational needs as necessary. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
- Job City Liberia