*Please submit your CV in English.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Purpose of the Country Program Director position is to:
- Set a strategic vision for the office and lead, develop and direct the implementation of all aspects of World Vision Ministry as an effective member of the Partnership in line with ‘Twin Citizenship’ principles to ensure solid ministry quality and high impact in the field; be accountable for all aspects of WV’s work in the country.
- Ensure that WV’s ministry directly aligns with LEAP 3 principles and contributes at scale to the sustained well-being of children and the fulfilment of their rights within families and communities.
- Have a strong external orientation and represent WV with all donors, project partners, WV Partnership Offices and divisions, local government, and non-governmental organizations, serving according to the Power of Attorney given by the Global Center (GC).
- Maintain a strong growth with quality mentality and lead the office to ensure growth in the area of grants.
- Provide leadership, strategic direction and support in the development and implementation of an effective Resource Development Strategy.
- Ensure people issues are front and centre, promoting an office that embraces diversity, interfaith collaboration, gender balance and engagement with all Partnership staff.
- Ensure that the office has a strong and integrated Faith and Development strategy that includes staff nurture, integration of program approaches such as Covenant with umbrella church bodies, Celebrating Families, FBFs, etc.
- Model a high standard of personal leadership, ministry and integrity though lifestyle and work relationships, and provide spiritual guidance to staff on the Vision, Mission and WV Core Values.
- Ensure that office leadership is capable to work in interfaith contexts and is familiar with World Vision’s commitments.
- Ensure high quality ministry approaches that align with LEAP 3 principles and ensure best practice development work at scale.
- Ensure strong ability to measure Child Well Being (CWB) outcomes and maintain a green rating on the CWB report each year.
- Ensure strong engagement in resource mobilization, including positioning and support to grant acquisition efforts to raise additional resources and diversify WV Sudan’s portfolio.
- Ensure the highest standards of quality and accountability through compliance with World Vision policies and standards and international standards for emergency response, disaster mitigation, rehabilitation and development.
- Ensure all project proposals, reports, integrated audits and ministry evaluations are reviewed at a proper level within the office and appropriate actions are implemented, to ensure impact, accountability and compliance.
- Ensure that a strong national Monitoring & Evaluation strategy is in place and that M&E systems are streamlined to reduce processes and focus on child well-being.
- Ensure accountability for the implementation of effective ministry to all key stakeholders. Ensure a relevant, timely and accurate flow of management and operational reports according to program objectives and standards and to meet reporting requirements from donors, Regional Offices, local partners.
Strategy, Operating Plan and Long and Short Term Targets:
- Ensure there is a documented office strategy, fully aligned to the WVI Partnership Global Strategy, Our Promise 2030.
- Ensure there are clear strategies for People and Culture, Communications and other main functions, and they are based on the office strategy and operational plan and include main priority areas identified in respective Regional and Partnership Strategies. Facilitate and be accountable for the execution and monitoring of strategies.
Leadership and Management of WV Sudan:
- Promote WV’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and key Partnership Standards and Practices among the staff and partners and ensure these are the core foundation of WV Sudan strategies and work.
- Lead SLT and ensure diverse representation on the leadership team.
- In coordination with P&C; implement intentional capacity building of national staff with an eye to increasing Sudanese staff in positions of leadership.
- Strong focus on leadership and people management, ensuring the most capable and qualified staff members are in place to implement office strategy and operational plans.
- Review and approve WV Sudan’s succession plan; ensure that proper capacity is in place and succession plans are updated and executed.
- Promote and participate in talent and leadership development initiatives, including those for staff at management levels in the field and at the National office level.
- Lead and manage WV Sudan’s team in a way that facilitates a high performance culture, open trustworthy relationships and integrity; Promote a culture of learning and development, employee engagement and good stewardship of human capital in the office.
- Ensure implementation and compliance to Partnership Performance Management Standards and Principles, while seeking to implement Performance Management guidelines on reasonable level.
- Champion WV Sudan’s leadership team in the proper implementation of Performance Evaluations on a mid –term and annual basis for the whole organization.
- Support initiatives for staff care and well-being, both for international and local employees.
- Ensure excellent standards in the management of the human, financial, capital and technical resources of the organization, which includes inspiring and maintaining high standards of work and clear accountability to stakeholders.
- Visit field projects frequently to encourage, build relationships and support WV programs.
- Ensure that initiatives directed to build capacity required to implement local fundraising are included in the office capacity-building plan.
Advocacy and Representation:
- Represent WVS and engage and build strategic alliances with the government of the country, major donor agencies, WV Partnership, non-governmental agencies, media and other external stakeholders.
- Develop and implement appropriate advocacy strategies to raise awareness of- and advocate for change in- key issues within Sudan that relate to CWB.
- Lead and facilitate strategies for the promotion of justice that look for the change of unfair structures that oppress those in need; Ensure WV is positioned as a leading NGO in promoting the well-being and rights of children within the country context to develop public and stakeholders’ confidence and trust.
- Strengthen awareness of World Vision’s program both within and outside of the WV Partnership.
- Ensure that the WV brand is respected within the country and that all vehicles and facilities are properly branded with standard WV branding.
- Provide leadership, strategic direction and support to the team for developing and implementing a strong donor experience and acquisition of ministry funds.
- Identify new opportunities and forge alliances that lead to optimization of all resources.
Financial Management and Financial and Operational Audit Compliance:
- Ensure efficient and effective organizational practices that result in successful financial and operational audit scores.
- Ensure action planning and execution to resolve audit findings in an agreed and timely manner. Undertake appropriate reporting of audit results and actions.
- Oversee and ensure strong engagement of leadership in monthly FFRs and ensure rapid action on issues raised.
- Ensure strong financial compliance through timeliness and completeness of financial reports.
- Ensure strong operational compliance through timeliness and completeness of program/project reports.
- Provide direction for integrating private and public funds to maximize results and respond to community needs in most effective and efficient way.
- Manage overall financial integrity of the program to WV Support Offices donors, the government and other stakeholders.
- Provide overall strategic leadership and initiative for identifying and securing financial resources to support the program.
Safety and Security, Disaster Mitigation and Preparedness:
- Develop and maintain capacity to respond to natural and man-made emergencies.
- Review security and safety plans and protocols (security manual, evacuation plan, Disaster Preparedness Plan, and risk assessments at all levels) and ensure understanding and compliance by all staff and visitors.
- Oversee relief efforts, as and when they arise and work in partnership with response teams. Build in-country relief response capacity to ensure adequate disaster management and response.
- Liaise with other international organizations to collect information about the security environment and, where appropriate, discuss joint responses to security threats.
- Compliance and Country Legal Environment:
- Ensure the office complies with local labour law requirements and standards.
- Maintain an external legal counsel that can support WV leadership when required.
- Ensure and oversee proper mechanisms for Child Protection and other WVI standards and principles implementation.
- Ensure that the entity functions in a complementary, cohesive manner where principles of interdependence and twin citizenship guide the contribution made to the Partnership and the use of WV Partnership resources.
Resource Development and Management:
- Explore opportunities and facilitate Resource Development business planning. Align with regional GAM team objectives.
- Develop and implement an effective National Resource Development strategy and implementation plan to generate funds locally.
- Execute plan to generate funds from a variety of donors.
- Implement long term and short term programs that create new opportunities for acquisition, retention and transformation of a diverse set of private donors.
- Ensure strong external engagement and visibility of WV Sudan to help promote its work to key donors and acquire greater levels of resource for ministry from a diverse set of donors.
- Ensure strong grants management to create trust and engagement with the donor for accessing future resources and increased credibility.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Government Grants & Budgets:
- Strong knowledge of financial management and accounting principles.
- Strong expertise in grant acquisition and management.
- Manage a budget of almost $33 Million.
- Experience in technical programming in at least one of the major ministry components (Relief, Development or Advocacy), close familiarity with the other two.
- Strong Knowledge Of UN Humanitarian architecture, particularly cluster system
- Experience and/or understanding of advocacy execution, national advocacy strategy development and leading advocacy efforts as a pillar of a theory of change.
- Experience working in conflict affected contexts; Africa experience a plus.
- Understanding of political, socio-economic, and cultural contexts within the country achieved within 3 months after assuming the role.
- Experience and/or understanding of working in a large and complex organization with a matrix management structure.
- Experience leading diverse executive teams. Experience with the donor and humanitarian community.
- Ability to present persuasively to a Senior Management Team, staff, donors, NGOs, government officials, community leaders and other stakeholders.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field
- 10 years relevant experience in international relief and development, with progressively more complex and higher level leadership roles. National Director Experience in at least one other national office.
- Training in NGO leadership and experience in leading diverse teams that include national and international staff.
- Experience with integrated community development programming, with a diverse knowledge of technical program areas where WV focuses (education, health/nutrition, livelihood/resilience, micro-finance, child protection, etc.).
- Experience managing large and complex operations. Experience in emergency/refugee contexts.
- Excellent grant acquisition experience, including experience with a diverse set of donors, as well as a strong ability to partner and position for complex grants.
- Experience in leading local fundraising, including management responsibilities preferably over the areas of fundraising with major private donors and Governments.
- Significant management experience (general/operational) where there is evidence of both accountability and managerial know-how, and high quality delivery of results.
- Strong ability to engage externally with government, donors, UN agency leads, partners and other stakeholders. Evidence of building coalitions and engaging externally to influence policy and strategic directions.
- Fluency in English/strong written and spoken English language skills and ability to communicate the Mission and Vision of the organization well.
- Experience with World Vision desirable.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Must exhibit composure and professionalism. Able to represent World Vision to government officials, donors and other external stakeholders in a professional and self-assured manner.
- Have worked in conflict settings. Africa experience is a plus with a demonstrated understanding of the context and cultures of the continent.
- Able to interact with a variety of individuals and ethnic groups.
- An understanding of the UN Cluster system would also be helpful.
- Negotiation abilities with government representatives.
- Experience as country director or national director in at least one other office.
- Consultative approach.
- Patience persistence and humble and servant leader.
- Self-awareness: being open to learning, growing and changing.
- Adaptability and agility. Be ready to alter course.
- Be a good and active listener.
- Work environment: Office-based with frequent travel to the field.
Travel: 25% domestic with occasional international travel required.
- Job City Khartoum