Based in 36 Glenhove Road, Melrose Estate, Johannesburg, 2196
Up to 40% local travel but will have field interaction
Reports to: Director of Cooperate Affairs and Resource Mobilization
Working hours: 37,5 hours per week
Who we are:
With 50 years of experience, working in over 60 countries Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organisation. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the centre, and wherever possible bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare. There are over 6,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are looking for an experienced-dynamic individual for the position of Demand Creation and Communications Officer. This role will be responsible for the leading the demand generation strategies and initiatives through multiple channel to drive the mobilisation team. You will work under the Director of Cooperate Affairs and Resource Mobilization and closely with the programme team. This position will be based in Johannesburg and requires travel to provinces.
Sound like you? Read on.
The Demand Generation and Communications Officer will be responsible for the overall development and implementation of the communications strategy to support programmatic and ultimately organisational goals and outcomes. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Development of a vibrant, responsive, and dynamic demand creation and social mobilization team
- Management of all staff involved in demand creation and social mobilization
- Guide strategic planning, design and implementation of the demand creation and social mobilization in two provinces
- Key message development, social media content creation and media outreach (at district and provincial level).
- Development and implementation of demand creation and marketing campaigns concepts including key programme messages and delivery tools geared towards the 15 – 34-year age pivot.
- Develop demand generation specific work-plans at national, provincial and district level.
- Oversee the implementation of the demand creation strategy at all levels
- Provide demand creation oversight to PSI VMMC partners
- Supports demand generation coordinators to ensure that all planned activities are implemented within set timeframes.
- Participate/contribute to programmatic strategic and implementation planning meetings.
- Write content for all digital platforms, newsletters, blogs, editorials, letters to the editor, case studies, public interest stories, press releases etc. To promote the organisation’s brand, activities, and products.
- Regularly up-date the digital platforms with relevantly approved content.
- Liaises closely with M&E team to ensure alignment of demand creation activities towards meeting targets
- Consolidates and provides inputs for weekly monthly and quarterly reports to DoH and CDC
- Project at meetings with funders, DoH officials, roundtables, working groups, conferences, and communities.
- Present to programs to get buy-in and secure demand creation budgets, as well as report results.
- Measure, analyze, and report campaigns performance
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, bloggers, investors, and consumer audiences that will help advance our work (maintain a repository thereof).
- Act as the internal journalist and media advocacy agent for the organisation.
- Produce content to support programme deliverables, including information, education, and communication (IEC) materials.
- Lead interpersonal communication (IPC) initiatives for all programs: training and skills development for mobilisation/outreach staff.
- Provide publicity, communications, and marketing support for proposal writing.
- Under the guidance of the department of corporate affairs and resource mobilisation manage the relationship with all external agencies and communications suppliers (pr, digital, atl. and btl).
- Pro-actively engage with global communications teams within PSI to ensure information sharing and optimisation of resources.
- Participates in the periodic review and development of M&E tools for demand creation.
- Initiate monthly deliverables review meetings at national level to improve supervision and monitoring of the demand creation teams.
- Work in close coordination with provincial leads and district managers for planning, implementing, and monitoring of demand generation activities
- Draft and submit monthly reports for all demand creation activities conducted within the programme including the production of quarterly metrics reports for media and online activity.
What we are looking for?
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant Honours / Bachelor’s degree in communications or marketing, graduate degree preferred.
- Degree in advertising, public relations and/or journalism; or
- Degree in international development with at least 10 years’ experience as a communicator with significant publication experience in South African media including digital.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant marketing and communications work experience within the non-government and or public health sector.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Creative thinking.
- Analytical and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Innovative communications expert with experience conducting community level demand creation activities .
- Ability to use research to inform marketing activities.
- Work well under pressure.
- Budget management.
Knowledge: Comprehensive knowledge of donor (USG and non-USG) rules and regulations including but not limited to USAID, Global Fund, UNITAID etc.
What would get us excited?
A creative and vibrant candidate who has a strong public health communications background. Has a strong network within the communications space that can be beneficial to the programme and organisation. A strong track record of being able to showcase programme achievements with well written, impactful stories and case studies? Ability to work collaboratively at an operational/field level as well as strategically with programme and organisational management teams and leadership. Someone who has a good understanding of the HIV self-testing, VMMC and CMI space within the South African context. A detailed orientated, target and deadline driven individual.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent, analytical, interpersonal, organisational, and cross-cultural skills; demonstrated ability to perform and prioritise a variety of tasks on short notice within designated deadlines
- Ability to use research to inform marketing activities.
- Budget management.
- A love for compliance but the flexibility to meet program needs. You like to play by the rules, but you understand the importance of being flexible, and you always strive to find a compliant path to a yes, while documenting and mitigating risks to meet our ultimate goal of health impact.
- Excellent organisational skills, strong customer service focus and work well under pressure.
- Team Player: You know how to connect several diverse groups of people to get things done
- You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results
Desirable Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent writer and can communicate in an additional local language to reach key beneficiaries.
- You are independent and a free thinker, but you are ready to buy into the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Must have the ability to work from home.
How to apply:
Please send your full application, CV and max one-page motivation, to [email protected] by 10 November. All application submissions will be reviewed and considered, only suitably qualified candidates will be short listed and contacted for interviews.
Applicants will be required to participate in a practical exercise as part of the interview process.
PSI, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, disabled or employment status.
- Job City Johannesburg