EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
The purpose of this Activity is to increase the percentage of Liberian children who complete primary school and meet the government of Liberia’s learning standards. It is anticipated to be a $75 million USD activity over 5 years.
The Deputy Chief of Party – Operations (DCOP-Operations) will oversee the overall finance, accounting, and contract and grants management functions of the project team. S/he will be responsible for all operations, including administration, logistics, procurement, grants, budgeting, finance, compliance, and property, the DCOP-Operations will provide the support necessary to ensure that all program and technical staff operate within approved budgets and in compliance with applicable U.S. government cost accounting regulations and EDC policies and procedures. The DCOP-Operations is responsible for ensuring all procurement and grant processes are fair and transparent, reviewing financial compliance, and monitoring grant and subcontract implementation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee and manage finance, accounting, grants and contract management, and operations staff;
- Ensure project expenditures are consistent with approved budgets, project contract requirements and U.S. Government cost accounting principles;
- Oversee project accounts in accordance with EDC policies and processes and ensure that monthly project accounts and financial reports are submitted on time;
- Ensure that project operations are in full compliance with local labor, tax and other laws;
- Finalize and submit field account replenishment requests;
- Manage project staff payroll; and
- Prepare weekly/monthly financial performance reports highlighting: Budget status and ‘burn rate’ against the annual work plan and forecast; obligated funds, commitments and advances.
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting or its equivalent.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 6-8 years of operations management experience in support of similar large-scale international development programs. Experience managing the operations of education programs preferred.
- Knowledge of USAID procurement and grants management rules and regulations;
- Experience managing budgets for USAID-funded projects.
- Practical experience in grants, contracts management and accounting;
- Knowledge of Liberian laws, regulations, and business practices;
- Demonstrated experience managing project start-up and close-out as well as audit preparation, and registration;
- Experience and skills facilitating capacity strengthening of partners and stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, including strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop excellent relations with donor officials and key local stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work across technical and operations teams.
- Strong analytical and computer skills and demonstrated proficiency with relevant applications (i.e., Microsoft Excel, various financial analysis platforms); and
- Track record of attention to detail; adherence to highest ethical standards; and ability to manage timelines.
- Liberia experience preferred.
Proficiency in English is required. Fluency or proficiency in languages of Liberia desired.
- Job City Monrovia