Search is seeking an experienced senior leader for an anticipated multi-year project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) in Niger. The primary goal of this Activity is to reduce vulnerability to violent extremism by strengthening tools to address core grievances that drive extremism in VE prone areas of Niger. This includes: (1) strengthening the conflict mediation and dispute resolution capacity of customary justice and other informal structures at the local level, (2) improving access to the formal justice system through legal assistance, awareness raising, and targeted efforts to link citizens with the formal justice system, and (3) strengthened GoN and CSO ability to address human rights violations. This key personnel position reports to the project’s Chief of Party.
The position will be based in Niamey (Niger) or Dakar (Sénégal)
- Support the Chief of Party (CoP) in the management and general technical direction of the activity, ensuring an integrated approach to achieving project results.
- Oversee technical implementation at the national and local levels, including ensuring deliverables as outlined in the Work Plan and contract.
- Lead the design and development of in-country activities around alternative dispute resolution, and conflict mitigation.
- Maintain technical liaison and relationships with project partners, advisors and experts in the field of justice provision and human rights.
- Build the capacity of local staff in both technical skills and subject matter expertise.
- Coordinate with other members of the Senior Management Team including Directors and Advisors.
- Coordinate with the M&E team to ensure real-time learning, adaptation, and course correction, as needed.
- Recommend to the Chief of Party additional methods of identifying and assessing program impact.
- Liaise with Search’s internal teams including Niger team, regional team (Dakar-based) and global HQ teams in Washington DC.
- Act as the COP and serve as the principal point of contact to partners and to the donor for procedural and substantive matters in the absence of the COP.
- Represent the project with relevant stakeholders, including public speaking engagements on relevant topics.
- Advanced degree in the Social Sciences, Law, Peace and Conflict Studies, International Development, International Affairs, or other relevant subject.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience, with at least 5 years of management or advisory experience in related field.
- Strong subject-matter expertise and technical competencies on traditional justice systems and conflict mitigation, with good knowledge of access to justice and human rights
- Strong research and/or monitoring and evaluation background, with experience using assessment data to design and develop programmatic interventions.
- Professional experience and knowledge of Niger and the wider Sahel region, and familiarity with traditional justice systems in this context is a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with U.S. Government international assistance program requirements, preferably USAID, and/or other bilateral funding agencies.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team in multiple locations.
- Demonstrated ability to foster a culture of respect and inclusion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and French. Working knowledge of local languages is a plus.
How to apply
Deadline for submission of applications: June 2. Anticipated start date of this position is September 1st 2020
- Job City Niamey