Director of Programs, Niger
Mobile technology is revolutionizing how organizations engage with the people they serve. More than 96% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone, meaning it is now possible to reach nearly every single person on the planet. Yet 3 billion people living in emerging markets still lack access to relevant, timely, and engaging information in their local languages, and their voices remain underheard. The organizations that serve them lack the technology and capacity to reach them, and many are unaware of the power of mobile technology to meet their organizational goals.
We connect individuals and organizations using digital technology to make better decisions. With more than 30 million people reached in 2020 alone, we are well on our way to meeting our ambitious goal of reaching 50M people annually by 2023.
About the role
As the Director of Programs, Niger You will report to the Country Director for Niger, and will be based in Niamey. You will oversee all of Viamo Niger’s project implementation which currently consists of subrecipient and vendor roles on several USAID-funded projects. This will include managing Program Managers, providing support, building capacity, and ensuring deliverables and reporting requirements are met and Viamo is fully contractually compliant. You may also be asked to participate in new business development, including writing proposals, meeting and pitching to potential partners, and developing concept notes and budgets. The Director of Programs is a senior leader of the Niger team, and plays a crucial role in supporting the overall mission of Viamo.
- Partner Management
- Provide close assistance to key partners for the effective use of mobile technology in the domains of health, health system strengthening, SBC, governance, youth engagement, food security and other sectors as they arise
- Monitor stakeholder ICT4D needs according to project objectives and adapt programming and budgets as required
- Inform partners of new services and product improvements
- Solicit and document partner feedback, including needs and expectations to inform the ongoing development of Viamo’s offerings
- Manage Program Manager(s) and provide close coaching and support, ensuring capacity is being developed at all levels
- Project Implementation
- Oversee the establishment of annual work plans and quarterly/monthly deliverables for the program in partnership with Viamo’s Program Managers
- Monitor and contribute to the implementation of work plans according to the established timelines
- Oversee and complete monthly/quarterly/annual narrative and financial reports (with support from Viamo’s finance team)
- Facilitate trainings and content development/validation workshops
- Supervise qualitative and quantitative research and other field activities
- Contribute to Viamo Niger’s institutional knowledge by leading case studies, impact evaluations, etc. as needed
- Innovation and Service Development
- Propose and pilot new service offerings to include in Viamo’s suite of ICT products
- With other Viamo staff, ensure that we have a strong relationship with our Mobile Network Operator partner(s) and that our infrastructure is running smoothly
- Document and share lessons learned and best practices with Viamo’s international team of program staff
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Viamo’s annual strategic objectives
- New Business Development
- Support the Country Manager in the identification of new business opportunities in-country, track and respond to RFPs, and design high quality scopes of work and budgets.
- Work with partners to design and launch effective mobile engagement projects; this includes building relationships, co-designing projects, preparing budgets and responding to RFPs.
Key Performance Indicators
- Impact: Number of unique listeners and engagements with Viamo products and services
- Bookings: Value of secured partnerships
- Revenue: Execution & invoicing of program deliverables on current contracts
Team and Reporting Structure
- Reports to Country Manager
- Line manages two Program Managers
- At least 10+ years of experience of working with national and international organizations and stakeholders in Niger, ideally in ICT4D and/or MNO
- Exemplary project management skills and the ability to manage a portfolio of large, complex projects
- Experience managing USAID projects
- Experience working with national and local stakeholders in West Africa
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and prioritize, creating and implementing common project management tools such as Gantt charts, work plans, etc.
- Proven ability to create and manage complex budgets
- Proven ability to work independently; flexibility and willingness to adapt to new tasks as needed
- Ability to approach situations and challenges with a creative and open mind
- Bottom line focused and solution-oriented
- Mastery of computers and common software packages and an ability to quickly learn and master new software
- Excellent attention to detail and thoroughness
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and French
- Experience working with national and local stakeholders in Niger
- Experience managing EU and UN-funded projects
- Experience in ICT4D and/or mobile technology
- Communication skills in local languages
Viamo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and encourage applications from all candidates. We believe that diverse perspectives help our teams to create innovative solutions and understand our global clients’ needs. In alignment with our values, we are committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce without discrimination.
- Job City Niamey