The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a DRR / FbF Project Delegate (m/f/d) in Madagascar.
From January 2023 the Malagasy Red Cross and GRC will be jointly implementing the project “From Disaster Risk Reduction to Anticipatory Humanitarian Assistance and Response – Strengthening Community Response Capacity and CRM along the Disaster Risk Management Cycle in Madagascar”, funded by the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO).
Madagascar is regularly affected by a multitude of natural disasters with extensive humanitarian impact – both in rural and urban contexts. The project addresses suburbs and informal settlements in Antananarivo in order to support affected people especially in the sectors of WASH, shelter and health. Furthermore, the project aims to increase Malagasy Red Cross´ readiness to respond to upcoming hazards and disasters and to develop capacities in Anticipatory Action and Forecast based Financing (FbF).
The project will run until 31.12.2023 (yearly extensions until 2025 are envisaged).
Duration: from 01.01.2023 until 31.12.2023, with possibility of extension for two more years.
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Ensure the qualitative implementation of the project in Antananarivo with Malagasy Red Cross (CRM);
- Ensure regular monitoring of project implementation including the collection and analysis of data for the indicators and project monitoring/control;
- Ensure accurate project budgeting, financial management and expenditure tracking according to GRC and German donor requirements;
- Ensure quality, timely narrative and financial reporting in compliance with the GRC and the donor policies and regulations;
- Lead the process of developing an Early Action Protocol (EAP) on a hazard to be defined (e.g. cyclone, floods, drought);
- Improve access to validated forecast data and forecast-based thresholds for early actions;
- Facilitate a strong knowledge exchange, between CRM and other stakeholders on anticipatory action, and liaise, coordinate and cooperate closely with other National Red Cross societies and Red Cross Red Crescent movement partners;
- Contribute to strengthen the capacities of the CRM to respond to crises, disaster situations and address humanitarian needs, especially in informal urban settings;
- Support proposal writing on DRR and FbF as well as drafting short communication material for the project (webpage, factsheets, etc.).
Required Competencies & Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the field of humanitarian Disaster Risk Management; experience as Red Cross delegate will be an asset
- Knowledge and experience in community-based DRR; expertise on urban context would be of advantage
- Preferable experience with Anticipatory Action/FbF programming, knowledge of information management and GIS/geodata;
- Experience in implementing and managing donor-funded projects (GFFO experience will be an asset);
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to communicate clearly and effectively and build relationships at all levels;
- Oral and written fluency in English and French;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member;
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent fundamental principles;
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process ‘working abroad under specific climate and health conditions’;
- Valid Driving Licence.
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as a personal allowance to cover your accommodation. You will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment.
Please note that due to the travel and visa regulations and the guidelines of our partners in the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement certain vaccinations are required for this delegate position. Candidates on the short-list for this position will be asked to disclose their vaccination status.
We point out that the selection and nomination processes for this international delegate position may demand that information concerning your person be shared with involved Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement partners (IFRC, ICRC, National Society). This may include transmission into countries that do not apply data protection standards comparable to those of the European Union.