Job Purpose: The Education in Emergencies Manager will be responsible for the timely start-up and effective process of education in emergencies activities in target woredas in Gedeo Zones of SNNPR delivering the target planned results as agreed in the EHF project. S/he will work in close collaboration with and active involvement of Regional Education Bureau, Zonal Education Departments and Woreda education officials.
The Manager is a senior technical position and S/he is accountable for the achievement of the education outputs in the scope of the emergency Project.
List of responsibilities: Under the Child and Youth Protection and Development (CYPD) sector, this position is responsible for coordination with key partners, ensuring program quality and completion of education activities in intervention woredas as per the detailed plan of the project.
DETAILED RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS: The position Manager will report to the Education Assistant Coordinator based in AA with additional oversight from Field Manager based in AletaWondo. S/he also liaises on a regular basis with support functions within the IRC and the Regional Education Bureau, and cluster and other emergency response actors project intervention.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Strengthen the capacity of government education officials:
- In collaboration with the project team, s/he will support and coordinate technical capacity needs assessment and capacity building training/workshops for partners, cluster supervisors, teachers, KETB and CMC/PTA members.
- Facilitate joint supervision and monitoring visits with partners to provide technical support to cluster supervisors, head teacher, teachers and facilitators.
- Support and ensure the involvement of the existing community structures in community mobilizations activities through interactive and participatory techniques.
2. Project implementation and management:
- Work closely with other actors working in education and WASH emergency response activities at regional, zonal and woreda level to ensure coordinated approach in project planning and implementation.
- Coordinate and support the education officers for their effective contribution in planning, implementing, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning processes.
- Promote/ensure use of key government and IRC tools and guidelines to ensure the quality of work.
- Ensure the completion of planned activities in a given time frame and quality.
- Monitor budget and ensure accurate utilization to avoid over or under spending
- Follow up and supervise the construction of Temporary Learning Spaces (TLS) and latrines in the target schools, if there is any.
- Ensure timely procurement of project inputs including construction materials, feeding and learning supplies as necessary
3. Coordination and networking:
- Be aware of national and regional policies, strategies and other initiatives such as regional emergency response plan in relation to education in emergency in the area.
- Identify and establish good working relationships with all key partners particularly with woreda education officials and other administrative and community structures to ensure their engagement in program execution and management
- Participate and give to regional and/or zonal based education sectoral coordination forums.
- Develop good relationship with other NGOs, development and UN agencies etc working in the sector at regional level and where possible forge alliances to influence key actors when necessary
4. Monitoring, Reporting and documentation:
- Write, compile and submit monthly/quarterly project progress reports
- Write weekly updates on the progress and challenges of the implementation
- Ensure the collection of accurate and significant data from intervention areas including case stories and classroom observation.
- Detail any experience/learning, achievements, challenges and community feedbacks for future project planning/implementation
- Identify implementation gaps and suggest/take timely actions for improvement
- MA/BA in education, Educational Planning and Management, Educational leadership and/or social sciences with a minimum 5 years relevant experience for BA degree and 4 years’ experience for plus post graduate degree preferable in Emergency Education and displacement settings.
- At least one-year management experience.
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners.
- Good understanding in the field of study.
- Confirmed experience in facilitation of trainings/workshops.
- Good communication and social skills and ability to work with a multi sectoral team
- Proficiency in Somali language is a prerequisite with good spoken and written English skills
- Working knowledge of computers (particularly Excel, Word and Outlook)
- Job City Aleta Wondo, SNNPR