|Position Title||External Medical Escort (Medical Doctor & Nurse) – on-call|
|Classification||Professional fee and Subsistence allowance per the established IOM rate|
|Type of Appointment||On-call, 1 year with possibilities of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Posting Period||12.11.2019 – 26.11.2019|
Context and Scope of the Position
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, general supervision of Chief Migration Health officer and direct supervision of the Chief Nurse, the incumbent will provide health assistance to the migrants during all phases of their journey under IOM care, which would include in-country and international medical escort, operational support, pre-departure health checks and general assistance such as seating, help with meals and attending to personal hygiene.
The External Medical Escort is expected to carry out his/her duties in accordance with strictest moral and ethical standards and with due respect for gender and socio-cultural differences of the migrants. The Medical Escort is likewise responsible for having a valid passport and visa to USA, Canada or Australia (validity of which should be not less than six months remaining). Schengen & other country visa is an added advantage.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Receive the migrant(s) at the Receiving Point in the Country of Departure, provide the migrant(s) with escort services throughout the journey, and handover the migrant(s) to the designated Receiving Party at the designated place in the Country of Destination.
- Reviews all files of refugees/migrants known to have significant medical conditions and communicating the findings with the IOM physician.
- Medical Escort (and/or the attending medical personnel) completes the airlines’ form in case in-flight special services are required. Airline forms are usually submitted at least 2 weeks in advance for review/approval by the Airlines’ medical staff.
- Ensures that special services (i.e. medications, oxygen, stretcher, others) needed are available; again, special equipment/facilities may require up to two weeks’ notice to airlines.
- Responsible for bringing a medical escort kit, with additional medications and medical equipment related to specific needs of the travelling migrants. The escort is expected to return the kit upon completion of tasks and maintain an accurate inventory of supplies used during travel and inform IOM at the base mission accordingly.
- The escort should introduce him/herself to cabin staff, advising that he/she will be available to assist in any way at all with migrants during travel particularly in case of large groups and when no other IOM operation escort staff is/are on board. It is important for medical escorts to understand that their responsibility might not be limited to the medical care of the escorted migrant but that can be extended to general in-flight and on-the-ground support to passengers travelling under the auspices of IOM as circumstances allow.
- Ensures that the to-be-escorted individual and other IOM passengers are fit for travel and do not pose any health threat to other passengers on the aircraft.
- Reserves the right to cancel any persons from a flight after evaluating the clinical condition of the migrant in coordination with the IOM physician. The medical escort should immediately notify the IOM Migration Health Services Unit and the Operations staff of such events that may cause delays/alterations of the operation as planned.
- Attends to the escorted migrants’ in-flight and disembarkation needs up to the final destination.
- Ensures of having obtained the emergency phone numbers/ addresses of IOM offices and/or operations staff at the port of entry/final destination for any required medical and operation assistance.
- In case there is no IOM operations staff assisting the medical escort, he/she should obtain the necessary address of hospitals/health centers at the destination/port of entry for any unforeseen event.
- Endorses the escorted migrant to his/her family, representative from the sponsoring volunteer agency, or the IOM Operations staff, or appropriate health care personnel at the final destination and obtain written evidence of the hand-over.
- Upon handover of the migrant(s) to the receiving party, get the signature from the receiving party to Migrant Handover Notification filled in and signed by the medical escort.
- Submits a completed Medical Flight Report Form and Migrant Handover Notification to the IOM Mission and the relevant unit involved within 2 days after the completion of tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
For Medical Doctor Escort
- University degree in Medicine
- Minimum four years of experience as a physician with valid professional license.
- Preferable specializations: emergency medicine, pediatricians, internal medicine, general practice, cardiology, psychiatry, neurology.
- To have a valid US visa.
- Schengen and other visas (such as Canadian and Australian) is an advantage.
- Flexibility to travel on a short notice.
For Nurse Escort
- Degree or Diploma in Nursing
- Three years’ experience in clinical nursing is required with valid professional license to work.
- Experience in emergency care is desirable.
- Have a valid US visa.
- Schengen and other visas such as Canadian and Australian is an advantage
Additional competencies for both positions:
- Training and experience in ICU care and Psychiatry is an advantage.
- Capacity to work independently; able to carry out tasks with attention to detail; and demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality;
- Available at short notice to travel within the country and to other countries;
Knowledge of English, Amharic & Tigrigna. Knowledge of other local languages would be an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected], by November 26, 2019 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant that did not follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women and applicants from local community to apply!
- Job City Addis Ababa