- TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
- Program Description: The primary objective of the TNS agronomy program will be to increase the production of the coffee tree for coffee farmers through both yield improvement and behavioral shifts due to price incentives. This production improvement will be achieved by educating project farmers on agronomy and environmental best practices, farm management, and assisting them in applying those techniques at an individual farm level. TNS will use two-year farm college training and individual farm visits to improve farmer knowledge of agronomy techniques and oversee implementation.
III. Position Description:
Support the implementation of strategies that will enable smallholder coffee farmers to achieve sustainable increases in coffee quality and yields as per Technoserve quality requirements. Responsible for day-to-day execution of the coffee agronomy program, activities plan and supervise project deliverables of farmer trainers to ensure the timely achievement of targets.
- DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
RESPONSIBILITIES AS AN ASSISTANT BUSINESS ADVISOR
- Planning and management of FT’s
- Submit ABA weekly work plan – details when will attend training
- Review FT weekly work plan with dates
- Collect weekly training plans and data from FT’s
- Clearly communicate goals and roles and responsibilities to all staff
- Provide feedback, coaching and development activities related to performance management, following HR guidelines.
- Notify the Supervisor of any performance issues as soon as observed.
- Develop a team spirit among all reports.
- Submit Farmer Trainer of the month nominations for own reports.
- Conduct Quarterly Agronomy training to FTs
- Model that the quarterly agronomy training to FTs at local farmers field.
- Supervise teach-backs and give feedback.
- Ensure each training module is completed within the allocated 3 months’ time.
- Observe full training to farmers
- Observe FT is delivering training at the farm level
- Observe full training to farmers
- Give feedback and coaching to FT based on observation.
- Check visited HH list, cross-check with the list in the database. Ensure the reported data is accurate.
- Back checking farm Support Visit
- Pick farmers visited by the FT at random
- Visit randomly selected farmers and complete on-farm backchecking survey and send SMS
- Visit Demo plots
- Check demo plot status, complete form and give feedback to FF
- Meet with FF and discuss things done well and things needed to be implemented on the demo plot.
- Tablet survey M & E
- During each farm visit, check for the correct completion of the survey completed by each FT, before they synchronize their tablet to the system to upload the completed surveys.
- Discuss any issues that might be seen and give feedback on how to overcome these issues. (Problems with the survey, problems with GPS recoding, problems with submitting final surveys.)
- Discuss any issues with FT’s, Supervisor and develop an action plan for improvement.
- Compile weekly Farm Support visit update and submit to Supervisor
- Prepare & check FTs expenses
- Collect official voucher receipts for transport and accommodation
- Submit these documents to the Supervisor in a timely fashion
- Create a good working relationship with stakeholders.
- Holding meetings with Agricultural Development and administration offices of the appropriate Wereda’s once every quarter.
- Meet with Kebele leaders and Cooperative to give progress reports every quarter.
- Support FTs to mobilize farmers at the Kebele level.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Agronomy Senior Business Advisor.
- Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy, Plant science, Crop sciences, Agricultural Science etc/. May accept experience in lieu of four-year degree.
- At least two years’ professional experience for BSc and four years’ experience for Diploma – ideally private sector – in one or more of the following areas: Coffee Agronomy, Coffee processing, cooperative management or agriculture.
- Strong planning skills and experience working to strict time-guidelines
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Willingness to spend significant time in rural areas
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, in both English and local language (knowledge of Afan Oromo is an advantage)
- Computer literacy, Business Acumen
- Motor bicycle riding license, ability and willingness to ride a motor bicycle is a must
- NGO experience
How to Apply
VII. Application Instruction:
Qualified and interested applicants should Click here to apply for this position and submit a cover letter resume and salary history as a single document (either Word or PDF) by February 23, 2020. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be contacted. Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
- Job City SNNPR