Dan Church Aid (DCA) DCA is a Danish Humanitarian and Development organisation working to assist and empower people affected by poverty and disasters to live a life in dignity. In Ethiopia, DCA’s area of works includes humanitarian response, food security, resilience building of vulnerable community members, and gender and capacity building of civil society organisations. DCA currently has its main office in Addis Ababa and field offices in Gambella, Bale, Afar and Waghimra.
DCA Ethiopia Office is looking for a competent Field Driver based at Afar.
Overall Job purpose:
Support DCA Afar project in the areas of Driving Services and related assignments. Support day to day Support functions of the field office team. He is responsible for the smooth Driving service to the field office and proper management of the assigned Vehicle.
- DCA drivers should practice defensive driving by anticipating and observing the actions of other drivers and controlling the vehicle in a manner so as to avoid accidents. Vehicles must be driven with due care and caution at all times,
- DCA drivers who drive a DCA vehicle during adverse weather conditions are cautioned to take extreme care to ensure the safety of the driver and passengers.
- DCA driver is responsible to take care when getting on to and equipment. Hand and foot holds should always be used.
- Loads should be within weight and size limits. They should be safely secured and evenly balanced to ensure there is no danger of the load slipping.
- Cell phones, smart-phones, GPS, or other electrical devices must be operated via a hands-free system or while the vehicle is stationary.
- While driving a DCA vehicle, eating is prohibited
- A DCA employee are under no circumstances allowed to operate a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, drugs or other substances.
- Smoking and use of other tobacco products are prohibited in any DCA owned vehicle
- Seatbelts must be used when driving at all times. DCA will not be responsible for any fine related with the failure to wear seatbelt
- DCA Drivers must have a valid local or international Driver’s Licence (DL). All employees must report any licences or certifications that have expired, been revoked or suspended to their immediate supervisor
- Report any accident/incident and current/potential problems immediately, or as soon as possible, to the DCA Fleet Manager and or Local Police.
- Vehicles must be inspected before use each day and maintained on a regular basis in regards to manufacturer’s recommendations
- Drivers guilty of misuse are subject to disciplinary action by DCA management, and drivers may lose their right to operate DCA owned vehicles
- At all times use the DCA vehicle logbook format to facilitate accurate reports on the fleet. In order to control the use of programme vehicles (use of fuel and lubricants and purpose of vehicles use), a logbook for each vehicle in the fleet is mandatory and must be kept and updated for each trip
- Every day, in the evening, the log book is handed in to the Logistician or the person in charge of fleet management. He/she then checks the logbook.
- Family members of DCA employees are prohibited from travelling in DCA vehicles unless the family member’s travel is directly related to official DCA business.
- DCA drivers are responsible for secure and safe parking and storage of vehicles. DCA vehicles shall not be left on residential streets or highways overnight unless it is necessary due to mechanical failure or emergency or if approval is received from the line manager and/or Programme Manager.
- DCA Driver is responsible to book scheduled maintenance in consultation with immediate supervisor and DCA Head of Driver.
- Drivers of DCA vehicles or an individual designated by DCA shall routinely check vehicles to insure proper oil level, water and antifreeze for radiators, wear on belts and proper inflation of tyres
- Be familiar with the DCA Logistics Manual and general logistics principles.
Vacancy Number: DCA-Eth/VA-11/2022
Required number: Two
Type of Contract: until December 31,2022
Reporting to: Project Finance &Admin Field Officer
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Required knowledge and experience:
The post holder should be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Secondary School graduate
- Valid 3rd grade driving license (old curriculum ) or public 2 driving license( new Curriculum)
- Five years driving experience (4×4) including remote areas.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair is mandatory
- Demonestrated experience travelling to hardship areas with longer stay.
- Good command of verbal English ability to write short report
- Excellent interpersonal skills to promote effective collaboration within DCA team and across member and partner organizations.
- Strong personal integrity and commitment to accountability.
- Proven record of accident- free driving is a plus
- NGO experience is preferred
- Job City Asayita and Semera, Afar