Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north east of Nigeria and causing displacement of thousands of individuals, Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner. The Operations department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the logistics and purchasing of goods and services for country office in Abuja, Nigeria.
Field Enumerator – Baseline Survey
Locations: Kaduna and Plateau States
Reports directly to: TARE project team while working closing with Mercy Corps M&E team.
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps’ through funding from the Gerald A. and Henrietta Rauenhorst (GHR) Foundation will implement TARE (which stands for “together” in Hausa) an inter-religious peacebuilding program. TARE aims to reduce participation in violence in Northern Nigeria through engagement of religious actors in interfaith and policy dialogues.
- Mercy Corps will use two unique approaches in three target states. In Borno State, Mercy Corps will engage male and female Christian and Islamic religious leaders to develop and implement community action plans to prevent violent extremism. This work will be done in cooperation with community leaders, civil society, and local and state government officials.
- While in Kaduna and Plateau States, Mercy Corps will work to strengthen collaboration between community religious leaders and institutions to promote interfaith dialogues and learning exchanges, resolve resource-based conflicts that fall along identity lines, and support linkages to formal governance processes at the state and local level.
- By evaluating and comparing the impact of each of the two approaches, the research generated during the TARE program will be used to inform future inter-religious peacebuilding programs in Northern Nigeria.
- The purpose of the data collection is to provide baseline value and target setting against which the TARE project can monitor and assess its progress and effectiveness during implementation and after the activity is completed.
- The successful individuals will work closely with the TARE project team to mobilize community respondents, conduct personalized interviews and collect site-specific data within identified local communities in Jos North, Jos South and Barkin Ladi LGAs in Plateau state, Maiduguri and Jema’a, Zongon Kataf, Kachia in Kaduna state.
Scope of Work /Responsibilities
The field enumerators will:
- Get familiar with data collection tools and study protocol
- Attend study orientation and data collection training
- Conduct TARE baseline data collection in selected communities in Kaduna and Plateau states
- Orient and guide the MC project team on likely sensitivities that could affect the usage of the survey tools within the target communities
- Conduct focus group discussions (FGDs) and Key informant interviews (KII) with selected stakeholders in the selected communities
- Work collaboratively with TARE project and MC M&E team to ensure successful implementation of the baseline study
- Review filled data collection tools to ensure completion and quality of data
- Provide guidance and clarifications at data analysis stage regarding collected data as needed
- Play a key role in the mobilization of community respondents for the survey.
Qualifications and Personal Attributes
- Qualifications in the fields of the Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies or Statistics.
- A sound track record in developing and conducting research
- Proven skills in the use of mobile device for data collection
- Experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative research in Northern part of Nigeria
- Experience working in the selected communities and a good understanding of the local dialects is preferred.
- Experience in data collection and analysis using participatory methodology.
- Possess a degree of flexibility to work and availability to respond to comments and questions in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Strong command over English and Hausa, especially ability to write high quality, clear and concise reports.
- Only candidates residing in plateau and Kaduna are eligible to apply.
Applicants should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
- Job City Kaduna, Plateau