We help to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. We act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The International Assistance department is responsible for all Netherlands Red Cross international support for victims of disasters and conflicts and for vulnerable people exposed to hazards.
The international assistance department is recruiting the following field position:
Position title: Finance Delegate – South Sudan
Duty station: Juba, South Sudan
Time period: 10 months
Starting Date: 1st January 2023
Status: Single posting with R&R (currently an 8 weeks cycle)
The main purpose of the position is to monitor, support and check financial processes for NLRC supported projects in South Sudan, to structure its administration and to build the capacity of delegates and SSRC financial staff.
We support the South Sudan Red Cross through a strategic partnership, with longer term development assistance through a current program in the area of Disaster Management, WASH, Data and Financial Sustainability. Additionally, we support with strengthening its capacities to effectively provide services to the most vulnerable communities and assists the partner in the coordination within the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement and other stakeholders.
South Sudan Red Cross has been undertaking a transformation journey from 2019/2020. In 2022 there was a restructuring of their Finance Department. They then started using their own financial system of reporting (Navision) as well as using of joint account for all our projects. This has become a challenge with many projects being administrated in same accounts and therefore to ensure we have proper fund reconciliation and Finance administration of projects we are recruiting a Finance delegate to support operations in South Sudan, to structure the administration and bring it up to date, and to provide capacity building to NLRC and local staff based in-country.
Position in the organization
In day to day management, the Finance Delegate reports to the Country Representative based in Juba. Monthly the Finance Delegate will technically report to the Financial Controller based in The Hague.
The Finance Delegate works together in day to day operations with Project Delegates, including the Country Representative (who is also owner of the Office project and other projects), and local staff. Close cooperation & frequent communication with Project Administration, Desk, Financial Control and RFD is also essential.
You ensure a well-functioning NLRC office administration is operational by the end of the assignment and hand over to local administrator who will be under his mentorship and training during the period of assignment. You do so through cooperating on the project administration and through capacity building activities.
- Safeguard donor compliance, jointly with the project delegates
- Ensure 100% compliance to procurement regulations
- Verify, in cooperation with the project delegates, 100% audit proof of financial files including reconciliation with the financial administration of SSRC and that payments can be made according to plans
- 100% review of submitted financial reports by SSRC to the project delegates and undertaking monthly bank reconciliation per project to identify discrepancies (Winpaccs reports and SSRC Navision reports)
- Ensure finance tools and systems are well maintained and safeguard that each project delegate executes his/her roles and responsibilities correctly (e.g. budgeting, planning, monitoring, reporting, cash requests, Winpaccs cost control)
- BVA report to finance control and country representative accompanied with explanatory note for deviations above 10% per budgetline by comparing the POA vs actuals for the relevant reporting period
- Monitor and ensure that the financial management at field level is carried out in accordance with guidelines, the agreed contractual conditions, MoUs, applicable local laws and other regulatory requirements.
- Support the monthly financial reporting to NLRC for the project(s), in coordination with the country representative/project manager, to steer and manage the project funding
- Report on project administration issues and ensuring SPACE and Winpaccs match both at field level and HQ level
- Attend working groups and provide technical support to the SSRC and update the country representative
- Work with per partner national society finance delegates on the jointly implemented consortium project e.g. ECHO and ECHO PPP
- Coordinate together with Project delegates and accountants the end of project audits and internal reviews/auditing
Capacity building of local NLRC and SSRC staff:
- Work with the local financial and administrative officers and train them on the execution of the project administration at SSRC Juba HQ and field (branch) level.
- Analyse and identify Navision design bottlenecks and propose improvements to ensure compliant reporting through our office, in cooperation with SSRC and Norwegian RC
- Special attention in the above analysis should be the monthly project reconciliation and balance report: accruals of payables, receivables, bank and cash per project
- Train and coach the NLRC project delegates, country representative & local finance staff in the NLRC procedures for: internal control, financial planning, budgeting, budget revisions. Winpaccs accounting and cost control: encoding of vouchers and variance analysis; forecasting, cash request and reporting requirements.
- Capacity building: Assist SSRC Finance team in their financial administration, suggest improvements in procedures and practices
- Capacity building: contribute to SSRC agreed mentoring plan for SSRC finance staff.
- Bachelor in Finance and Administration, Masters in Business Administration would be an added advantage
- Certification in Accounting eg CPA,ACCA,CIA et al
- Five years of experience in financial management, accounting and control
- At least two years of international experience in working for a humanitarian aid organisation in similar context
- Experience working and living in another country than the country of your domicile
- Knowledge of Winpaccs Accounting system preferable, or willingness to complete the relevant training
- Experience in preparing budgets, cash flow statements and financial plans
- Experience in developing financial reports, and provide support to ensure consistency with narrative reporting
- Experience with donor formats and requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, mainly for the preparation of financial reports and explanatory notes on deviations
- Experience in problem identification and solution analysis
- Excellent practical computer skills (including excellent command of Excel spreadsheets and accounting software, as well as strong competence in Windows, Word processing, internet)
- Fluency in English
- Experience in working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement.
- Preferably experience in working in African context
- Able to work in a team
- High degree of integrity, discretion, and personal conduct
- Flexible and adaptable to changing working conditions
- Self-motivated, pro-active, with good judgment and initiative
- Ability to manage broad responsibilities with attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills
- Stress resistant
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to represent the employer in working groups and fora
- Strong communication and training/coaching skills
- A full time appointment (based on 40-hour work week) for 10 months
- A flexible and human centred working environment in an international environment with a variety of international organizations.
- Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and development.
Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to Shelly Jonker before 11 December 2022 through the link.
For more information about the position, you can contact Meindert Korevaar, Projects & partnership Coordinator for South Sudan at [email protected]
An assessment of candidates short-listed and a background check are part of the selection procedure.
For more information about the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekrius.nl and NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis
Acquisition for this vacancy will not be appreciated