GIZ- Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #081/2020
Nutrition Sensitive Agriculture Project
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian Government and other international donors.
The Nutrition Sensitive Agriculture Project (NSAP) is part of the Global Program Food and Nutrition Security, Enhanced Resilience, which is financed within the scope of the BMZ’s One World – No hunger Initiative aiming at the reduction of poverty and hunger worldwide. The aim of the project is to improve the nutrition situation of food insecure people, particularly women of child-bearing age and their infants, in selected districts (Woredas) of Tigray and Amhara Region in Ethiopia.
Required Candidates: One
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Implementation and monitoring of an overall smooth and correct functioning of the complete accounting system of the program in line with GIZ procedures;
- Effective coordination with colleagues at the NSAP Federal Office and GIZ-SURED Program in Tigray concerning matters related to financial transactions processing;
- Ensures that the provided accounting services within the section are done correctly according to GIZ accounting procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure timely payment of utility bills and withholding tax payments by checking the documents
- Verify correctness of vouchers, including the supporting documents for payments and internal transaction vouchers.
- Assist the cashier/accountant in daily checking of payments against the cash/bank book entries.
- Support proper fixed asset register, update inventory records and make annual physical count.
- Provide required documents for an auditor whenever Internal Control is conducted and assist on follow up of auditors findings.
- Make bank reconciliations monthly and cash accountant reconciliations between WINPACCS, Cash Book and actual physical cash count balances.
- Monitor the daily cash flow records, the level of liquidity and bank balances.
- Follow-up transfers made to regions by tracking program and regional project budgets and cash flow
- Provide technical support to project woreda on proper utilization and documentation of LSC budget
- Follow up on and check the timely settlement of travel advances, financial agreements (FA) local subsidy contracts (LSC) and consultancy agreements and grant agreements.
- Correspond with Woredas and Partners from timely submission of financial documents.
- Ensure that unused receipts and checks are kept in safe custody.
- Report irregularities observed, if any, to superior.
- Attend meetings, provide finance related trainings, and support Woreda finance and focal persons
- Treat information confidentially, specifically in the areas of personnel and finance.
- Vehicle management (check fuel consumption and timely maintenance)
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the supervisor.
Required qualifications, experiences and competences:
- University degree (BA) in accounting, business management or equivalent.
- Good knowledge of accounting software (WINPACCS and SAP) and standard computer applications such as MS Office 365, in particular Excel
- Capability of concise and coherent reporting along standard formats.
- Minimum 5 years working experience in the field of international finance and administration.
- Having worked for GIZ before is an asset.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- High degree of initiative and creativeness
- Very good computer skills, Microsoft Office;
- Proven knowledge of English and Amharic language, written and spoken – Tigrigna is an asset
- Ability to organize and prioritize several tasks at the same time.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multicultural and international team
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Title ‘Finance Officer #081/2020’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged
- Job City Mekelle, Tigray