Nationally Recruited Staff
Reports to: Finance Operations Manager, Cairo
Location: Rabat, Morocco
Advertisement date: 5 February 2020
Closing date: 3 March 2020
(or until the position is filled)
Main purpose of position
Reporting directly to Headquarters, the position will lead the overall Finance Operations in Morocco. The position is responsible for ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting, effective services to internal and external clients and effective control over financial operations in accordance with ICARDA financial policies and procedures.
Context of the position
The Morocco office is the largest ICARDA location outside of headquarters. All ICARDA scientific programs have activities in Morocco. ICARDA uses research stations across Morocco and works closely with INRA and other partners. Projects also have field activities in different regions of Morocco.
The Finance Officer works closely with scientists and budget holders based in Rabat. S/he is one of the unit heads of the Corporate Services Unit which also includes Human Resources, IT, Procurement and Logistics. The Finance Officer manages the Finance Team.
The Finance Officer reports to the Head of Finance Operations in Headquarters and works closely with the other units within finance i.e. Treasury and Grant Finance which handles all financial matters related to project budgets and financial dealings with donors. Finance is part of the Corporate Services Division of ICARDA.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
The incumbent will report to the Head of Finance Operations at Headquarters and have the following responsibilities:
Organize and continuously improve the Finance function in Morocco
· Ensure that the finance function is organized so as to respond to needs, requirements and standards effectively, including to remedy any detected vulnerability in the internal control system;
· Coordinate closely with Headquarters and share challenges, issues or lessons learned as needed;
· Represent the function internally and externally.
Manage key finance processes
· Supervise and continuously improve financial data flows and accounting processes to ensure prompt and accurate recording of transactions in compliance with ICARDA policies and standards; ensure monthly and annual closing take place in a controlled and timely manner;
· Ensure that all treasury-related processes and controls are effective, timely, efficient and comply with ICARDA policies and standards; manage the banking relationship; ensure that transactions in cash are properly controlled;
· Ensure that all payroll-related processes and controls are effective, timely, efficient and compliant with local regulations and ICARDA policies;
· Ensure appropriate controls over assets are in place and effective and provide reports accordingly;
· Frequently and regularly analyze asset and liability accounts and take action as needed,
· Carry out reviews and analyses to ensure proper costing is done;
· Ensure all financial records are maintained adequately.
Manage service delivery
- Ensure that appropriate planning processes by internal clients are in place;
- Ensure that all requesters are aware of the processes and procedures they must follow, including in the ERP;
· Provide payments to internal and external stakeholders in a timely, accurate and service-oriented manner;
· Proactively provide information and advice to budget holders and other colleagues requiring assistance from the finance department e.g. support to financial operations in the field, review of costs of certain operations;
- Ensure that the level of client satisfaction is regularly measured and analyzed.
Lead and Manage the Rabat Finance Team
· Ensure that the finance team is well organized, motivated and performs well;
· Ensure that the team is service-oriented as well as compliance-oriented and that it understands and complies with all ICARDA policies and standards and uses the ERP optimally;
· Organize the work of the unit ensuring expected results and timelines are clearly communicated;
· Provide support, coach and guide team members as needed;
· Ensure job descriptions are up to date, annual performance and development plans are prepared and reviewed in a timely and consultative manner;
- Keep the team informed of internal and external developments;
- Facilitate the coordination of the team with other units or offices.
- Prepare the yearly budget of the function, manage and monitor expenditures;
· Take on other responsibilities or tasks in coordination with the supervisor;
· Suggest ways to improve IACRDA financial and administrative policies, procedures and standards for enhanced effectiveness and efficiency;
· Be a proactive member of the Corporate Services Unit.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications and experience
· University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in Accounting. Certified Public Accountant or Chartered Accountant is preferred;
· At least 6 years of progressive experience in financial management
· Proficiency in computerized information system, databases and financial packages is required, experience in ABW system is desirable;
· Proficiency in the use of MS Office specially advanced application of Excel is a plus;
· Excellent command of spoken and written English;
· Strong attention to details;
· Good interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively in a highly dynamic
multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team.
Desirable qualifications and experience
· Master’s Degree in either Finance, Business Management or Accounting
· Experience with an international organization will be an advantage;
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is a nationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance. The first year will be probationary period.
How to apply
Please apply on https://www.icarda.org/work-us/jobs-board by 3 March 2020. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Rabat