Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Food Security and Livelihood Sector Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting Date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Senior Project Manager
- Provide technical lead and guidance in the implementation of FSL activities of the program:
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop detailed planning and implementation strategies for the kitchen garden, farmers field school, and other agricultural activities related components of the program in collaboration with the assistance of the MPM
- Develop detailed planning and implementation strategies for Cash-based Transfer Social Protection activities in collaboration with the SPM and guidance from the FSL technical team.
- Develop detailed planning and implementation strategies for the economic strengthening of the income generation activities of the households in collaboration with SPM and guidance from the FSL technical team.
- Compile monthly FSL program technical reports with an overview of activities of the program, contextual updates, and quantitative indicator follow-up and submit to SPM for consolidation.
- Evaluate and update project needs (HR, financing, logistics) ;
- Elaborate appropriate questionnaires and apply the follow-up and supervision tools of the project
- Identify and inform the SPM of any problems or constraints
- Ensure follow-up of the project’s progress and write suitable reports;
- Propose solutions and improvements concerning the project’s progress;
- Coordinate activities and sensitize local partners in the field.
- Track and report technical activities on FSL activities area of the program
Tasks ad Responsibilities:
- Review reports and gauge program progress against the logical framework, ensuring compliance with AAH internal and donor reporting standards.
- Assist the SPM in reviewing the FSL program budget and then follow up with support departments to ensure adherence to the work plan.
- Review with SPM all procurement requests for the FSL activities area of the program component before submission to the logistics department.
- Support in follow up on logistics requirements in coordination with the procurement officer and Log manager
- Ensure that all program-related data and information on FSL activities area of the program are correct, updated, organized and accessible to the country program, HQ and other key stakeholders, and that lessons learned and best practice are documented.
- Facilitate and support systematic monitoring and evaluation of activities.
- Support development of activities progress reports for the program team as well as contribute to the development of donor reports.
- Manage the FSL project’s team:
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Organize and supervise the work of the team to optimize the capacity of each team member.
- Take part actively in the recruitment and the training of staff, in cooperation with the SPM.
- Lead and support the Evaluation (performance appraisal) of FSL staff and ensure that all staff has planned and completed Pas, recommendations for capacity building and career development milestones.
- Performance Management
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Communicate with HR for necessary staff meeting, performance review, and appraisals
- Communicate Action Against Hunger performance standards and expectations to team members which includes 10 minutes monthly conversation, 3 months / end of probation performance appraisal and annual / end of contract appraisal.
- Establish performance objectives, provide feedback, and identify the strength and areas of professional improvement.
- Contribute to the professional development and improvement of team members by providing support
Internal & External Relationship
- Multi-sectoral PM: Technical hierarchical relationship- exchange of information, collaboration, coordination
- FSL Officers: line manager– exchange of information, reporting, collaboration, coordination
- Finance, HR and Logistics Coordinator: exchange of information and collaboration
- Others Programme Managers: exchange of information and coordination (integrated approach).
- Local governmental and non-governmental partners: exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on the choice of technical options
- Local representatives of international aid organizations: exchange of information
- Degree in Agriculture, Social Sciences or Economics or other related fields
Skills and Experience:
- Previous 3 years of work experience in food security and livelihood projects
- Experience in a managerial position
- Analytical capacity
- Capacity to supervise a team
- Good relational qualities
- Good knowledge of techniques and agricultural production systems
- Good knowledge of implementing projects
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Previous experience with AAH
- Previous development programming experience
- Capacity to write high-quality reports
- Previous team management and activity planning experience
- Computer knowledge (Word, Excel and Microsoft Outlook).
Minimum Basic Salary
- NGN308,589 per month.
- Job City Maiduguri, Borno